New bike! (Question about clicky noise and squeaky brake.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

My new bike arrived and it's the most amazing thing on the face of the Earth (of course).

Photo0010.jpg

I won't bore you with all of the reasons why it's great, I've already nattered my boyfriend's and parents' ears off about it. Suffice to say that on the MTB I've been borrowing I could manage 6 miles in one go, tops, and by that time my legs hurt and I was knackered. On this beauty I went on a 'quick' test ride today and did about 20 and still felt ready for more. So I'm a very happy bunny despite the sunburn.

Now that we've established how amazing my dream machine is in general, I just have a question about a funny clicky noise. It seems to be coming from the pedals or just behind them, and comes and goes, though always seems to be louder when I'm putting more pressure on the pedals (i.e. going up a hill). My boyfriend said it's the tension in the chain and a lot of bikes do it, is that right? He hasn't ridden a bike in a while so I'm not sure I trust him. I did order the bike through my LBS so can always go back to them if need be.

Also my front brake squeaks. At the beginning of the day it was really loud and started as soon as I braked, but by the end of the day it had quietened down a bit and didn't start until I braked harder. Is this a normal breaking in (pun intended) process or do I need to do something?

Cyclist33

It's normal! Enjoy - Stu

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Nice bike!

The clicky could be coming from the bottom bracket or the cranks - probably something needs to be tightened up slightly. Brake noise simply needs the brake pads to be toed-in.

Most LBS's offer to give the bike a free service after 100 miles or a month as quite a few parts take this time to settle in (cables stretch, parts can need further tightening up and the wheels can get slightly out of true etc etc) so I'd see if this is the case with your LBS.

OP
OP
T

taxing

Cheers, one more question, when I'm walking with the bike sometimes the pedals turn, and sometimes they don't. It's a bit of a pain because when they start turning unexpectedly I'll kick the pedal or it'll scrape my foot or catch my leg. Is there anything I can do to stop it?

My LBS just said that I could go in and have any adjustments made, so I'm guessing I can go in any time within the next few weeks or so. I've done 35 miles on it already so it shouldn't be too long until I hit the 100 mile mark, by then should everything have settled down?

battered

Guru
Nice bike! It's got a basket. Mine doesn't:sad:. 100 miles is a nominal figure, should be about right for a servicing visit then. Carry on using it, nothing will fall apart and after a couple more weeks of 10 or 20 milers you can take it back to the LBS and everything you;ve mentioned here can be sorted ouyt. :evil:

Sorry, over did the bold there again.

Your brakes shouldn't squeak and your transmission shouldn't make a noise, take it back to the shop. Most bikes require running in, they won't be surprised to see you, in fact they are expecting you. Don't leave it to develop into something more serious like a loose crank. That's how you end up walking ten miles home.

e-rider

crappy member
the clicky noise is definitely not normal - it's probably the front mech rubbing. Have you noticed that it does it in some gears and not others?

Something for a LBS to adjust. The brakes need adjusting too if they are making loud noises.

The advice about "Carry on using it, nothing will fall apart and after a couple more weeks of 10 or 20 milers you can take it back to the LBS and everything you;ve mentioned here can be sorted ouyt" is bad advice and a good way to casue permanent and expensive damage to your new bike.

If something isn't working properly get it sorted ASAP. As for the pedals moving, this is casued by rough bearings in the freewheel. they should loosen up over time but keep an eye on it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
tundragumski said:
the clicky noise is definitely not normal - it's probably the front mech rubbing.

I don't see one....:smile:

It's got hub gears !!

Watch out, you seemed to have picked up some vegitation in your carrier :smile:

OP
OP
T

taxing

tundragumski said:
the clicky noise is definitely not normal - it's probably the front mech rubbing. Have you noticed that it does it in some gears and not others?

It's only got one gear, so I can't test that out I'm afraid.

The brake stopped squeaking today, so I'm guessing it wore itself in. I'm going to pop back to the shop maybe tomorrow or early next week and see what they say about the clicking.

OP
OP
T

taxing

fossyant said:
Watch out, you seemed to have picked up some vegitation in your carrier :smile:

That's my anti-theft device! I hear that the more unattractive you make your bike to teenage lads, the less likely it is to get nicked. So I'm going to turn it into teenage bike thief Kryptonite! Next up is a pink bell with strawberries on it.

OP
OP
T

taxing

Well I took it back to the shop today and he sorted out the funny noise, but the pedals turning when I was walking it stumped him, he said he'll have to ring the manufacturer on Monday to ask them about it. I'm a bit disappointed because since then it's been doing it even worse, and he said he had sorted the squeaky brake but that's squeaking even worse than it was before too. So one problem fixed, two even worse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Brakes can be an ar$e sometimes. TBH I'd change the pads for a better set. They are easy to re-set though, so give it a go.

I assume this is a hub geared bike. I know Sturmey Archer's tick as you pedal, they always do, and even passed one today on my training run...tick, tick... (reminded me of this thread). :blush:

The pedalling whilst you wheel it could be due to some stiffness/friction in the hub gears - possibly because new, but keep an eye on this... it's not something I'd expect with a traditional freehub/cassette, but I don't know the make of your hub gears.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
If I read the OP's answers right it's a single speed. I guess the freewheel is a little sticky and will wear in over time. So long as it freewheels OK when riding I don't think its a serious fault.

Top Bottom