New bike releases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,

I was wondering when the bike manufacturers announce their new 2022 models? Usually what time of year?
Do you think it worth waiting for the new 2022 releases or buy now the 2021 bike models?

Cheers

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Buying last year's model of anything was often a way of getting a bargain but I'm not sure there will be any great deals on 2021 bikes this year. Demand is still high and supply still low (though better than it was). I don't think there's any huge incentive for retailers to offer big discounts, even on old models.

If you're thinking of resale value, a 2022 bike might be better if there isn't much of a saving over a 2021 bike. If you are keeping it long term and spending a lot, best just to buy a bike you really love imo with the colour and spec you want . What's a £50 saving over 5 or 10 years on a £500 bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually September time.

However, it's highly possible with shortages and price hikes that the 2022 equivalent model will be more expensive and/or lesser specced than the 2021. I'd only wait if the 2021 isn't available or you really can't stand the colour (ie it's black :laugh: )

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Implicit in your post seems to be an idea that 2022 bikes will be better than 2021 ones.
I can't help but wonder why.
Just buy what you want to ride.
It'll be 2023 in no time.
I think that spec tends to get worse as manufacturers look for more profit year on year

I think that spec tends to get worse as manufacturers look for more profit year on year
quite possibly - there are often bits on new bikes that are lower down the componentry heirarchy. It's a competitive world and by downgrading a particular bit prices can be kept at a certain point for maybe a year longer.
The alternative is that a newer bike might have consumable bling that you don't need and will be more expensive to run/maintain.

Buying last year's model of anything was often a way of getting a bargain but I'm not sure there will be any great deals on 2021 bikes this year. Demand is still high and supply still low (though better than it was). I don't think there's any huge incentive for retailers to offer big discounts, even on old models.

If you're thinking of resale value, a 2022 bike might be better if there isn't much of a saving over a 2021 bike. If you are keeping it long term and spending a lot, best just to buy a bike you really love imo with the colour and spec you want . What's a £50 saving over 5 or 10 years on a £500 bike?
I always buy last years model, but like you say, the big discounts have all but gone :sad:
The Diverge I bought in 2019 underwent three dramatic changes on the 2020 model, namely:
1. Different 38c tyres
2. New paint colour (which I didn't like)
3. Different saddle.
Luckily a £750 discount softened the blow and enabled me to ride through the shame of being 'so last year' :laugh:

I always buy last years model, but like you say, the big discounts have all but gone :sad:
The Diverge I bought in 2019 underwent three dramatic changes on the 2020 model, namely:
1. Different 38c tyres
2. New paint colour (which I didn't like)
3. Different saddle.
Luckily a £750 discount softened the blow and enabled me to ride through the shame of being 'so last year' :laugh:
I got a very good price on my end of year Ridgeback Expedition, which I considered better by far than the new one.
New one was silver (yuk - and looks like an ally bike) rather than wondrous British Racing Green and had disks rather than V brakes.

Top Bottom