New bike - ride home - report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Well, today was the day I collected the new bike!
But you probably knew that because I've been just a little :hyper: lately.

After a run down of the bike in the shop, I set off to head home, about 4 miles.
I freewheeled down the hill and immediately noticed how light the bike was although I think anything would be light after Rambo!
I did wobble a little but I was going slow as I also had to tickle the brakes a few times to make sure they were grabbing okay.
I dismounted at the bottom of the hill and crossed the road to get into the top of the park.
I decided to walk up the short hill and re-mount at the top.

The bike as well as being light, and having 29 inch wheels, was extremely responsive. It could just be me being used to the heavy beast, but for the first few miles I found myself over steering!
I was almost out of the park when I realised that my thighs were taking a lot of strain.
Up went the seat height! That helped a lot but I still need to move the seat back a bit on the rail...there's going to be lot's of little adjustments until it's just so :smile:

I was so much easier to ride and I seemed to just roll along without too much effort.
I do need to stiffen up the front suspension as I felt I was bouncing around a lot.

Before I knew it I was at the bottom of my nemesis, the cemetery hill!
I got up in one go, still at walking pace but much easier and I wasn't panting like a train at the top.
Cemetery Hill - 0 Me -1

It was then a short ride along the main road (another hill) and home.
The seat seems okay at the moment but that may change :rolleyes:

Overall, I'm very happy, it's a lovely ride and I'm impressed with the 29 inch wheels.
I can't wait until I get out on a longer ride - first dry day and I'll be out for a little light trail testing :biggrin:

I will post pictures when I take the mudguards off. I only stuck them on to get home as it was drizzly but they are white and don't really suit the bike.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well done. Glad you like the new bike. Yayyyyy.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Well, today was the day I collected the new bike!
But you probably knew that because I've been just a little :hyper: lately.

After a run down of the bike in the shop, I set off to head home, about 4 miles.
I freewheeled down the hill and immediately noticed how light the bike was although I think anything would be light after Rambo!
I did wobble a little but I was going slow as I also had to tickle the brakes a few times to make sure they were grabbing okay.
I dismounted at the bottom of the hill and crossed the road to get into the top of the park.
I decided to walk up the short hill and re-mount at the top.

The bike as well as being light, and having 29 inch wheels, was extremely responsive. It could just be me being used to the heavy beast, but for the first few miles I found myself over steering!
I was almost out of the park when I realised that my thighs were taking a lot of strain.
Up went the seat height! That helped a lot but I still need to move the seat back a bit on the rail...there's going to be lot's of little adjustments until it's just so :smile:

I was so much easier to ride and I seemed to just roll along without too much effort.
I do need to stiffen up the front suspension as I felt I was bouncing around a lot.

Before I knew it I was at the bottom of my nemesis, the cemetery hill!
I got up in one go, still at walking pace but much easier and I wasn't panting like a train at the top.
Cemetery Hill - 0 Me -1

It was then a short ride along the main road (another hill) and home.
The seat seems okay at the moment but that may change :rolleyes:

Overall, I'm very happy, it's a lovely ride and I'm impressed with the 29 inch wheels.
I can't wait until I get out on a longer ride - first dry day and I'll be out for a little light trail testing :biggrin:

I will post pictures when I take the mudguards off. I only stuck them on to get home as it was drizzly but they are white and don't really suit the bike.

Yeah I'm the same, white mudguards and white stilettos are a fashion faux pah:stop:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks all.
I have removed the wheel reflectors, front reflector and bell, so it's looking better already.
The white mudguards will be replaced asap with black or grey ones.
That just leaves a new cycle computer as my old one is ancient and getting a bit unreliable now.
I may replace the seat, it depends how I get on with it but it felt okay today.
The handlebars seem okay and I probably won't need a riser.
The grips are extremely comfortable and supportive but I still want to put bar ends on.

Not the best photo but I just wanted to show her off! :wub:

myka_zps7f95c6a4.jpg

Last edited:

compo

Veteran
Nothing like a new bike, glad you are pleased with it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks all.
I have removed the wheel reflectors, front reflector and bell, so it's looking better already.
The white mudguards will be replaced asap with black or grey ones.
That just leaves a new cycle computer as my old one is ancient and getting a bit unreliable now.
I may replace the seat, it depends how I get on with it but it felt okay today.
The handlebars seem okay and I probably won't need a riser.
The grips are extremely comfortable and supportive but I still want to put bar ends on.

Not the best photo but I just wanted to show her off! :wub:

myka_zps7f95c6a4.jpg

Lovely bike. Specialized meet Ghost. I went for dark, stealthy colours too! :laugh: I think mine is maybe a boy. Maybe just call him Ghost.

DSCF0009_zps624a1a51.jpg

Top Bottom