new bike supplied with wrong cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
picked her up wednesday and did my first 50 miles on her today, went to give her a clean (like you do when a bikes brand new) and spotted the rear cassette is a 12-28 when it was advertised as an 11-25 on all of giants websites, (giant defy) my last bike is an 11-25 which would have been my preference

1. Is it my fault for not checking when i collected bike and have now completed 50 miles (why would you check anyway?)
2. i didnt specifically ask for an 11-25 so is there any point calling the shop?
3. is there any real difference in the cassettes anyway and since you can buy one from ribble for £23.75 is there any point in calling

My CAAD came with an 11-25 as standard, but I'm doing the Cat & Fiddle challenge in October so I've also bought an 11-28 for the hills :blush:

If you think your riding will justify it just buy another cassette knowing you will use them both anyway.

Or, if you're particularly miffed then go back, but there is probably small print saying the manufacturer reserves the right to change the specification of any bike at any time without warning or reason, or words to that effect, but if the shop values your custom they should work something out for you, even if it's just a discount on the 11-25 :thumbsup:

Run it for 2000 miles (4months?) and if you still would have preferred the 11-25 then you know what replacement to buy:smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's a 12-28 not a 11-28? In any case a 11-28 is a great cassette, imho. Good range and a nice bail out option. Only one jump of 2t in the middle of the cassette that is barely noticable. However, if they advertised it as 12-25 and it came with 11-28 I would get them to swap the cassette. They should do that without question, imho. Assuming you decide that's what you must have...

accountantpete

Brexiteer
12-28's are great cassettes for the hilly rides.

You will need a separate Winter cassette anyway so keep this and get the 11 -25 for Summer.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I just went from an 13-26 to an 11-28 love the speed downhill with the 11 and havent needed the 28 really. May just get an 11-25 and be done with it.

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just ride it ... the small print as pointed-out states that the manufacturer has the right yadda yadda yadda. It's not such a big difference, maybe even a benefit. Few people regularly spin-out a 12T cassette and 28T is good over the lumpy stuff or when you're knackered. There's a lot of macho bulshit talked about gearing, IMO just go out and pedal the thing ^_^

Zakalwe

The fact you didn't notice during a 50 mile ride speaks volumes.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
The fact you didn't notice during a 50 mile ride speaks volumes.
the point is mate that i did notice which is why i counted the rear cassette, i was running out of gears ( the new bikes quick) and as i believed the bike was running a 11- 25 i was contemplating the cost of changing the front from 50 to 52

Back to the original question - the answer is that there is nothing you can do if you buy a stock bike.

If you read the small print then there is usually a disclaimer along the lines that specifications may change without notification.
So long as the change is an "equivalent"t hen you have no grounds for complaint

The Giant website states:

The specifications chart below represents the MOST CURRENT information available, superseding any printed or PDF formatted information. Specifications and price are subject to change without notice.

However if you had specified a particular item and paid a subsidy or premium for this then you would have an issue

Zakalwe

Fair enough, but from your first post it appeared that you only noticed when cleaning. Kudos too, to be running out of gears, 50x12 is 32 mph at 100rpm, that's some swift progress on a solo ride.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
the point is mate that i did notice which is why i counted the rear cassette, i was running out of gears ( the new bikes quick) and as i believed the bike was running a 11- 25 i was contemplating the cost of changing the front from 50 to 52

Sorry - are you saying that you spun out? Must have been going at quite a pace! Fair play.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
Back to the original question - the answer is that there is nothing you can do if you buy a stock bike.

If you read the small print then there is usually a disclaimer along the lines that specifications may change without notification.
So long as the change is an "equivalent"t hen you have no grounds for complaint

The Giant website states:

However if you had specified a particular item and paid a subsidy or premium for this then you would have an issue

what i thought

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
to answer a few questions ive been cycling for 6 months on a halfords carrera virtuoso mainly grinding big gears (just how i ride). ive recently built a fixed gear to try and get me spinning.
my pedigree is ive joined a local cc and completed 2 10mile tt. 1st 29.49 2nd 27.45 (same course)

the reason i counted the gears when cleaning was because on a flat 10 mile strectch of a recent ride( west lutton to burton fleming) i spun out on the new bike when on the old bike i was happy with the 50-11 combination

got to learn to spin^_^

Top Bottom