New bike time - don’t know where to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
My lovely carbon Jamis road bike is terminal. It was my first road bike and I’ve done a lot of miles on it over the last 12 years. Everything has worn out at once and it’s not worth repairing.
So . . . I need a new bike. Problem is, I don’t know where to start as I haven’t a clue what is current or what I should be looking for. My Jamis was light and fun to ride. (I also own a Specialized Diverge as my commuter bike which is, well, useful but dull!)
I will be using the cycle to work scheme and am thinking my budget is around £2000
Hit me!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
preference for groupset ?
planet x always have good deals but sram if thats an issue

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The good news is that there's a recession on and bike shops are full to the gunnels with bikes they can't sell. its buyers market so there are bargains a plenty to be had.

Buck

Guru
Hi Julia

If you are wanting carbon then £2000 for a new bike will be tight.

105 group set is excellent and even Tiagra will be good but I think limited to 10 speed.

I love my Canyon Endurace - a great ride - but I think prices are now north of £2k unless you go aluminium.

Alternatively, is second hand a possibility (I know you mentioned the cycle to work scheme) as there may be a bargain to be had out there from those that bought in lockdown?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don’t know if sram is an issue or not - have always had Shimano so far.

its not an issue for me i use both sram and shimano the only real world difference is the shifter action on sram has one lever so you push 1 click to go faster , the brake lever is not connected to the shifting .takes me literally seconds to adjust when i change bikes

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
9657B565-9A78-4A26-9F82-9091570A0E39.jpeg Ribble Cycles are worth a look.
Decent spec carbon under your budget;
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/

Last edited:
My lovely carbon Jamis road bike is terminal. It was my first road bike and I’ve done a lot of miles on it over the last 12 years. Everything has worn out at once and it’s not worth repairing.
So . . . I need a new bike. Problem is, I don’t know where to start as I haven’t a clue what is current or what I should be looking for. My Jamis was light and fun to ride. (I also own a Specialized Diverge as my commuter bike which is, well, useful but dull!)
I will be using the cycle to work scheme and am thinking my budget is around £2000
Hit me!

I'd have a look at another Jamis. Blacks seem to sell them in the UK if they are on your c2w list. The ones on sale here though look to be more gravel orientated https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/br:jamis/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Julia :hello:

Sorry to hear about your fave bike, it's always painful :cry:

If you are anything like me you just won't like ANYTHING from the current crop because they don't make things like they used to! I don't think it is about getting old, just that we don't get sucked in by fads?

My opinion, for what it's worth. 10spd tiagra is faultless. Been running it on my commuter for the last 4yrs and 12,000 miles. Only thing I have not been 100% happy with is the cable disc brakes which are good enough, but not great like the hydraulic I am used to. Might be about to swap that over though?

My advice would be to look around for something that catches your fancy, then when that fails, consider refitting your current bike with a tiagra groupset (discs?) and new wheels, while addressing any issues you had with the current bike. Probably no more expensive/cheaper than a new bike but will be far more satisfying as it will be personal and meet your requirements exactly.

Top Bottom