New bike time - don’t know where to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Just looking into that at the moment. It’s the scheme run by Halfords/Tredz which also uses some independent bike shops. It’s a bit more restrictive than cyclescheme from what I can gather.
Re refurbing my current bike, it’s tempting but I’m a bit short of actual money at the moment!

I would check with your LBS as to whether or not you can use C2W for a new groupset and wheels for your current bike. If the frame is in good nic and you love it, then this could be a great option. You might still be able to get your hands on 11 speed 105 and a nice set of hand built wheels for much less than £2k

Alex321

Veteran
I would check with your LBS as to whether or not you can use C2W for a new groupset and wheels for your current bike. If the frame is in good nic and you love it, then this could be a great option. You might still be able to get your hands on 11 speed 105 and a nice set of hand built wheels for much less than £2k

The C2W scheme the OP is able to use is the Halfords cycle2work one, which only operates with a limited selection of independent retailers (plus of course Halfords and Tredz).

And they have also said their LBS has recently closed.

Looking at the cycle2work site, and based on the stated location of Knaresborough, there are three LBS in Harrogate and one in Ripon that they could use, though only one of those looks like having bikes in their price range.

Last edited:
My lovely carbon Jamis road bike is terminal. It was my first road bike and I’ve done a lot of miles on it over the last 12 years. Everything has worn out at once and it’s not worth repairing.
So . . . I need a new bike. Problem is, I don’t know where to start as I haven’t a clue what is current or what I should be looking for. My Jamis was light and fun to ride. (I also own a Specialized Diverge as my commuter bike which is, well, useful but dull!)
I will be using the cycle to work scheme and am thinking my budget is around £2000
Hit me!

Note the exact size and the position of points of contact to ensure that you can replicate your position on any new bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I must admit, after an evening puzzling it out online, I am coming around to this way of thinking.
My main issue is the money - having a lump of it in one place rather than paying monthly (Though this is not insurmountable if I decide it’s the right decision)
My current bike has a triple - it was popular at the time especially on bikes marketed at women.
I’m not wedded to the idea of replacing it with another triple - especially as they are a bit harder to come by as they have fallen out of fashion.
Can a triple be replaced with something else? And still have low enough gears to get my lazy @rse up big hills? I think I’m in need of a bit more technical know how.
Also, my local LBS closed down in January and he has gone to work at Specialized. I miss him!! Anybody recommend someone they really trust in Yorkshire?

Spa (in Yorkshire) did me a 46/30 crankset with a 40/11 cassette . Gets me up most things!

Last edited:
I have a Dolan tuono disc - and I am very impressed with it - I've had 4 high end carbon bikes and this is easily the best.

Dolan to Cycle to work and turned around my order pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Update - I have decided that dipping into my savings and getting mine refurbished is the way to go.
I dropped into Spa Cycles yesterday who told me they only work on their own bikes. I asked to speak to their mechanic, explained what i wanted and asked if he could recommend anyone. He called a bloke called Josh from out back who works there 2 days a week and does his own projects the rest of the time. We discussed some possibilities and I'm taking it over to him in North Leeds for him to have a look at on Sunday.

Good afternoon,

I fully "grok" the refurb route but....... I couldn't work out which Jamis you had and a post search didn't help, but it did turn up one where you were considering a touring bike to fit between the Jamis and the Specialized Diverge.

This suggests that you have quite clear requirements for your equipment and as any CF framed bike sold around 2012-2014 would generally be quite highly spec'd I wonder if you will be disappointed by doing a refurb.

Apart from possibly going from 10 to 12 speed, as far as I am aware there have been no big changes in mechanical group sets. So you would be spending your money on getting back to where you were, I am very comfortable with 10 speed and expect to be forced to 12 in the near future (Di2) but I have no desire for 12 speed.

The exception would be if the Jamis has disc brakes, this would open up the option of 105 Di2, the price is horrendous, typically around the £1,400 mark plus the cost having it fitted and the cost of making Di2 work with a cable based frame. So it may be cheaper to buy a new 105 Di2 bike.

But I absolutely adore Di2, for me it is a much bigger improvement than going from a 531 to CF frame and as controversial point I suspect that many people don't like admitting that they can't afford it so they rubbish it.:laugh::laugh:

As I commute a bit under 40 miles a day I decided that I would use my best bike, a CF Jamis with Di2 and recently bought a new steel frame and built up a "retro" bike. The retro bike is way worse than the Jamis in every way, but I really enjoy riding it because I approach the ride knowing that this is as things once were.

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG
I have spent around £1,200 on the Raleigh, it has new frame, wheels, shifters, saddle, seat pin, bb, bars and stem and from my spare parts bin front and rear mechs, brake levers and chainset. I would like to replace the drive train when I find the right bits and expect to end up at around £1,500.

So my question is would a complete change of direction and a step back in absolute performance actually give you more fun?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
http://www.bikeroar.com/products/jamis/xenith-endura-sport-femme-2012/44-ocean-mist-natural-carbon
This is my bike.
http://www.bikeroar.com/products/jamis/xenith-endura-sport-femme-2012/specs
Specifications here.
It was £1500 reduced to £1000 and then bought on cycle to work so actually cost me about £750 from Evans in York
As far as I can see, the same entryish level cf bike now would set me back north of £2000. Added to that cost, C2W works with a more limited range of retailers than cyclescheme plus availability of bikes in my size (in a world where average size human still tends to mean average size man)
New bikes tend to come with the advantage of internal cable routing and disc brakes neither of which feel like a "must have"
We'll see what this mechanic says tomorrow. I really do appreciate reading everyone's advice on here - thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
keep 10 speed go 4700 tiagra , its dang good for the money if you are looking to do it on a "budget" , you will not gain much of anything going 11 or 12 speed . EDIT
Unless of course you get a really good deal on it but check your wheel choice supports it
Change the crankset to HT 2 and compatible BB, i always found fsa powerdrive BB`s to wear out pretty quickly.
Wheels assuming you have the originals how are they running and whats the brake surface like ? maybe look at a new set even an " entry " level set like shimano wh rs 100 are laible to be better ( they look like a replacement for rs 11s which im still using )
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s205p4277/SHIMANO-WH-RS100-Front-and-Rear
or askiums ?
https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksium-one-clincher-road-wheelset-75460.html

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Update - I have decided that dipping into my savings and getting mine refurbished is the way to go.
I dropped into Spa Cycles yesterday who told me they only work on their own bikes. I asked to speak to their mechanic, explained what i wanted and asked if he could recommend anyone. He called a bloke called Josh from out back who works there 2 days a week and does his own projects the rest of the time. We discussed some possibilities and I'm taking it over to him in North Leeds for him to have a look at on Sunday.
I love your use of initiative. Fingers crossed Josh can sort your bike out for you.

Jameshow

Veteran
i only say 4700 tiagra as i read that the shifting is a lot better than the old 10 speed 105

Depends on which 10 spd 105 perhaps under bar 105 (5700) but the earlier washing line 105 (5600?) is perhaps a tad lighter than 4700.

I have both on my summer bikes and it's fine for my needs.

Top Bottom