New bike time - don’t know where to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got that feeling round someone half my age who is going to help me with some back trouble! He doesn't look old enough to have left school....

Try being driven by your 18yo son.... Scary and feeling almost a pensioner!!🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Try being driven by your 18yo son.... Scary and feeling almost a pensioner!!🤣🤣🤣

Hmmmm
My son is 27!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on which 10 spd 105 perhaps under bar 105 (5700) but the earlier washing line 105 (5600?) is perhaps a tad lighter than 4700.

I have both on my summer bikes and it's fine for my needs.

fair enough , depends if you can them i suppose ? mind you state of supply for owt atm ....

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Spa have 5703? Triple chainsets

Wow - they do indeed and 5700 series mechs too! If @Julia9054, 4600 Tiagra shifters are fine that would be the way to go as its the right 10 speed compatible (which 4700 tiagra isnt).

If do a full groupset including shifters change then 11spd 105 7000 series is probably a sound choice for performance value and future proofing availability of compatible spares / consumables, but maybe utilise a GRX 46-30 chainset to give lower gears, as no triple option with 7000 series.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good work on deciding to resurrect your existing bike :smile:

A few random thoughts.. I have 105 R7000 (admittedly with discs) and it's great. The rim brake set can be had for £370 currently from dirty wiggle, although I believe it's gone as lows as c. £260 in recent times; which is an absolute steal. I also have Tiagra 4700 which is also great for what it is, although predictably not as nice as the 105.

As others have said replacement rings are an option, although from the image you posted the crankset looks non-series so this might be less easy to get bits for / desirable in the long term.

As much as I like the 105 in itself I'd also argue that a triple has a lot of advantages (and that "fashion" is for those who can't think for themselves). My Fuji has a 48/36/26 crankset and I find that this is (with the same cassette) much nicer to ride than the 50/34 on the Genesis as I'm in the middle chainring 95% of the time, only dropping to the granny ring occasionally and rarely ever into the top ring.. while on the Genesis I'm constantly bothering the FD as the ratios I want are right in the middle.

Of course how relevant this is to you depends on your riding style, terrain, fitness etc and is only one part of the puzzle!

Good luck :smile:

Rather than be part of the crowd of Internet advisors, I would see what Josh can source.

Spa is one of the best bike shops in the country. If they are willing to let him work on their bikes, he's almost certainly going to be really good, kid or not.

As others have said replacement rings are an option, although from the image you posted the crankset looks non-series so this might be less easy to get bits for / desirable in the long term.

My feeling is that generic 10-speed is fine. New wheels, new generic crank (Spa does those), new cables, new blocks and brakes. I find Shimano really irritating in that they design things to be slightly incompatible with everything not made by them. Not sure if this is still the case, but you used to find odd little ramps on Shimano cranks that stopped other brands of chainrings from fitting. Very annoying and totally unnecessary.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Update.
Josh did a lovely job
Shimano r7000 105 groupset and trp brakes.
Today - due to life and weather getting in the way - was the first time I have been able to get out on it. It does indeed feel like a new bike.
If anyone wants a mechanic in North Leeds drop me a message and I'll share his contact details
20230308_151057.jpg

Top Bottom