New bike wanted winter steed/mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I moved home recently and sold my subway 2 hybrid. I'm really missing it and do wonder if I should have sold it, anyway cannot bring it back now.

The reason I sold it is because I have a road bike and CX and rarely used it anymore. The CX has become my winter road bike, not that I've done much cycling lately.

I like riding on tracks and trails, so wanted something with bigger tyres and some suspension. No mountains but muddy trails.

So I'm looking for a mountain bike with front suspension, I'm 6'2" and around 16 stone. I want to spend around £300-£400 as it's a winter knock about rather than anything flash.

I like the BTwins and have had a few Carreras which I have always liked, any suggestions or feedback on these or any other alternatives?

vickster

Legendary Member
Paul’s Cycles got any reduced hardtails?
Although the Decathlon hardtails have a good rep

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Halfords have a selection of Carrera or Voodoo bikes that meet your needs in your price range.

Or this Boardman, which is admittedly £500 but which comes with £75 of 'free' accessories:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mtx-8-6-hybrid-bike-black
It's not a full on MTB but it's got front suspension and I've got a previous model and I've yet to find anything off road it can't cope with.

Or Cycle Surgery have this Cube: https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/cube-aim-pro-2018-Q1114353.html?colour=2057

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Halfords have a selection of Carrera or Voodoo bikes that meet your needs in your price range.

Or this Boardman, which is admittedly £500 but which comes with £75 of 'free' accessories:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mtx-8-6-hybrid-bike-black
It's not a full on MTB but it's got front suspension and I've got a previous model and I've yet to find anything off road it can't cope with.

Or Cycle Surgery have this Cube: https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/cube-aim-pro-2018-Q1114353.html?colour=2057

I do like that Boardman, how long have you had yours, can you put wider tyres on it?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I do like that Boardman, how long have you had yours, can you put wider tyres on it?

Just over three years now - it looks like it would take wider tyres but I haven't actually tried.

si_c

Guru
Possibly a slight diversion, but my Dad is thinking about selling his 2009 GT Avalanche 1.0, it's a 26" in size Large, which has had very little use as it turned out that it was a bit too small for him (same as me he's 6'5), but should be perfect for you. He's got a new Trek which fit's him better now, so this is just sitting in the garage doing very little and taking up space.

The bike is pretty much in almost immaculate condition, I'm not sure what he'd want for it, but I can ask.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Possibly a slight diversion, but my Dad is thinking about selling his 2009 GT Avalanche 1.0, it's a 26" in size Large, which has had very little use as it turned out that it was a bit too small for him (same as me he's 6'5), but should be perfect for you. He's got a new Trek which fit's him better now, so this is just sitting in the garage doing very little and taking up space.

The bike is pretty much in almost immaculate condition, I'm not sure what he'd want for it, but I can ask.
Thanks but probably not for me, I'll have a think though

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just found out I can get a cycle to work voucher so I went to decathalon to chthe ck it out. I really like the 560, such a jump up in standard from the 540 and a decent price at £550, do I get a 6 or 7 hundred pound voucher?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just found out I can get a cycle to work voucher so I went to decathalon to chthe ck it out. I really like the 560, such a jump up in standard from the 540 and a decent price at £550, do I get a 6 or 7 hundred pound voucher?
Do you need anything else while you’re there which will cost less. Mudguards, clothing?
If not get what you will spend as you get no money back and will have to pay the full amount through salary sacrifice

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Do you need anything else while you’re there which will cost less. Mudguards, clothing?
If not get what you will spend as you get no money back and will have to pay the full amount through salary sacrifice
I want some mudguards and some new winter clothing, but probably not £150 worth, I'd end up using some of it up on stuff I don't really need

To be honest, I don't really need another Nike, this is a want purchase rather than a need purchase

vickster

Legendary Member
I want some mudguards and some new winter clothing, but probably not £150 worth, I'd end up using some of it up on stuff I don't really need

To be honest, I don't really need another Nike, this is a want purchase rather than a need purchase
Get the £600 then. You can buy other bits with cash. £100 increments only available?

Top Bottom