New bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, bought a new bike today. I have been into MTB for some time but i have been doing a lot of road work lately on my MTB and as a yongster I always had a racing bike or road bike as they call them today. So I have taken the plunge again. Nothing too expensive, so entry level - Claude Butler Promo Elite. Bought it on the Internet for £334 not bad considering it has STIs 24 speed etc. So looking forward to getting back out there on something a bit quicker than the old MTB

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Now you've started something.....

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've made the leap from MTB to tourer and it was a huge revelation. I'm hoping the leap from tourer to rodie will be just as fun!

I shall watch your progress with interest :smile:

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... somewhere between my lugoles

Eddie

Would have been more tempted by the Triban 3 at that price point... but enjoy your purchase.

OP
OP
L
Well the new bike came today. It took me ages to put it together and set it correctly. But all the gears are working well now. I was a bit shocked with the stopping quality of the breaks although it must be said I am now used to hydraulic disk breaks now. The main ongoing problem is the size of the frame. I purchased a size 56 knowing that being 5' 10" - ish this is at the very top end of my size requirements. But as we all know all bikes a bit different so I was hopeing I would get away with it. The height is fine as a like a long pedel reach but the length from seat to handle bar feels a little uncomfortable. For example break levers feel a little out of reach when the STIs feel comfortable when climbing and when breaks feel comfortable STIs feel too far forward and in general what ever the position I do feel like I am stretching to the handle bars. I have tried to rectify by moving the seat as far forward as possible and changing the stem. The bike came with a flat stem at 130mm I have change it for a riser but still at the same length - these relatively simple changes have helped. Question here ??

Does any know if by reducing stem size to smallest possible and keep the rise this will help further? Or any other ideas on how I could reduce reach

Or

Is it possible that my riding position is basically correct and because I have not been on a road bike for donkeys that I am worry about nothing?

OP
OP
L
Got a new stem today 35 degree rise 70mm in length. Took it for a quick test but ended up clocking 30 miles. Needed to tweak the rear mech but all-in-all, everything seems fine.

Top Bottom