Clipless pedals
I found it no problem at all - went from riding with toeclips to clipless, doing cross-London rides in traffic, without ever having a fall. Here's the approach I used:
- Buy dual-sided pedals with a flat platform on one side, MTB (ie small) cleats on the other.
- Set the pedals very loose on cleat tension.
- Buy commuting (two-bolt recessed cleats, rubber soles) shoes
This means that you
- Can ride the bike without cleats
- Can ride the bike with one cleat in only, using the flat platform on the other side, whilst you get used to it
- Can clip out very quickly
- In my experience: the couple of times I forgot to clip out, a panicked shake of the leg I was about to land on, got the foot out in time.
I presume mentioning specific products is frowned on but I'm happy to let people know the (very cheap) kit I use.