New bikepacking setup: transverse saddlebag + qr cargo cages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wood_dweller

Regular
Hi, I wanted to share with you some information about my DIY bikepacking bags ;)

At first I needed a smaller bag which would replace my pannier during one day trips. I have a rack mounted in my vintage Gazelle Randonneur Trophy all the time – in this case I see transverse saddlebag as superior over saddlebag in classical shape.

I thought about buying Carriadice bag, but they use cotton duck which is to heavy for my taste :| My cycling setup would gain weight instead of loosing it, because pannier in same size is lighter.

gazelle.jpg

I decided to make my own bag of Cordura which saved 400 grams without sacrificing functionality. Finally I also added few useful features as additional bottom strap with buckle (yes, I am using buckles wherever it's possible), which makes attaching my bag to rack very fast and makes luggage more stable. I added a handle, now there is a way to catch the bag in less than a second – no need to attach shoulder strap every time...

qr_mount.jpg

I also made a QR mount which works with all my saddles. It has adjustable mounting width and added some “distance” (some saddles have their rails hidden you need some kind of a spacer).

romet3.jpg

As I made my new MTB bike with dirt drop I thought about getting some cages for front fork. The problem is when you have suspension front fork /or you don't want to carry them all the time (and make our bike heavier ~400 grams forever ;((( ). For these reasons I designed my QR polycarbonate cage, which can work with suspension front forks or forks with eyelets.

HERE you can see my stuff in action:

Feel free to share your thoughts about it and ask any questions.

I am planning to start a crowdfunding campaign with saddlebags in two sizes and the cargo cage and if you like my bag you'll be able to get it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be interested in seeing the fork mounting system. I have wondered about fitting compression bags to forks in the past, but not seen it in action.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It seems like a bigger version of the solution I've settled upon, of a Highlander haversack cam-buckle-strapped through the saddle rails. The main drawback of that is that the canvas isn't very waterproof, so it needs a rain cover over it. It's also not quick-release. I wish you all the best with your alternative and hope you post updates here.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I wouldn't trust those D-rings on the saddlebag attachment to stay tight, pulling at that angle.

my own bag of Cordura which saved 400 grams without sacrificing functionality
The functionality you are sacrificing is waterproofness.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know all my Alpkit works very well. If someone tries to get into this market with untested gear. They have to sell it at a price significantly under Alpkits prices, until they get established.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know all my Alpkit works very well. If someone tries to get into this market with untested gear. They have to sell it at a price significantly under Alpkits prices, until they get established.
Maybe not: many Alpkit lines are often sold out and I'm not sure they have anything quite like the saddlebag or cages yet, do they? Although a new welded bikepacking range has been announced, I don't think it's on sale yet.

OP
OP
wood_dweller

wood_dweller

Regular
I would be interested in seeing the fork mounting system. I have wondered about fitting compression bags to forks in the past, but not seen it in action.
The fork mounts are very similar to Gorilla cages
Yes, it works in similar way as Gorilla Cage. You just need to slide the bag down. It uses friction and some latching to keep the cage attached. This is my beta version, I will share more photos after some upgrades.

OP
OP
wood_dweller

wood_dweller

Regular
It seems like a bigger version of the solution I've settled upon, of a Highlander haversack cam-buckle-strapped through the saddle rails. The main drawback of that is that the canvas isn't very waterproof, so it needs a rain cover over it. It's also not quick-release. I wish you all the best with your alternative and hope you post updates here.
You can try waxing it as Carradice does, it should help a lot. Thanks ;)

I wouldn't trust those D-rings on the saddlebag attachment to stay tight, pulling at that angle.
I am using very thick tape so it is very stiff and stays in it's place. Also the force has such direction that instead of making it loose, it lock's D-rings.

The functionality you are sacrificing is waterproofness.
I don't think that there is a significant difference in waterproofness between canvas and Cordura. For sure it is not 100% waterproof like PVC but now it is still uncommon in bikepacking.

OP
OP
wood_dweller

wood_dweller

Regular
UPDATE! Sorry for not post anything for a longer time. I was really busy preparing for a INDIEGOGO presale which starts next week!

I also made some improvements in my QR Cargo Cages. I am posting few more images

Large Saddlebag (about 22 liters) with extended lid

ind07.jpg

ind09.jpg

Medium Saddlebag (about 12 liters)

ind15.jpg

ind16.jpg

Quick Release Cargo Cage (each bag 7 liters)

ind18.jpg

ind19.jpg

(it comes in two options)

ind22.jpg

Quick Release saddlebag Mount

qr_620px.jpg

If you haven't seen the video yet:

Attachments

• ind18.jpg
    ind18.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: