New bikes arrive tomorrow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madders

Regular
Yes, I did say bikes, but let me explain. My Bianchi Jab 7300 arrives from wheelies (after I threatened to cancel the order when they wanted to wait for the jacket I ordered (arrival July!!!!) to come in to send the order as one lot) and we are also taking a week long test ride of a Mekk Poggio road bike for Jo. This is with a view to Jo getting the Mekk on her own cycle to work scheme but it would be rude not to take it for a spin myself wouldn't it?:evil: Jo's Dad, who is 69 and a lifelong and keen cyclist used to take Jo out with him and Jo is keen to get back on two wheels again having thoroughly enjoyed trips out on my old Trek road bike.
I do feel a little like a kid at Xmas time though.:shy:

Madders :smile:

Nearly there

Veteran
Happy new bikes^_^ pics required too

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
I think Jo went for the 54 frame, as advised, for the Mekk whereas I am having a 48 frame for the Bianchi. I will post pics (when I figure out how) soon.

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
My new bike.....
Bianchi.jpg

lordloveaduck

Oh, that new bike smell (so long ago sigh). It looks fantastic. You know that you will have to handcuff it to your ankles when you go to sleep at night.

Madders, you are fortunate to have a partner who wants to get back onto two wheels; it is so much easier to get a new bike for oneself if one's partner is also getting one. Please have some sympathy for the rest of us who have to struggle to justify new bikes to our non-cycling other halves :thumbsup:. I do like your new Bianchi though - very smart indeed.

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
My justification for getting a new bike was Jo rides a horse and she ain't getting me on one of them hence the mtb. My waistline has grown, as evidenced by the tightness of my trousers so I wanted to do something about that as well as maintaining my personal fitness levels. My divorce was very painful, financially and as such, there is little money spare at the end of the month. It costs £3 to take my car to and from work in diesel alone so if I cycle to work more than ten times in a month then the bike, in effect, pays for itself.
Oh, I really fancied one too ;)

Powely

How is the Mekk? I've got one on order....got a few doubts about it though after a chat with a LBS (who wanted me to go for a Merida) and reading a few comments on here. But there's nothing like the opinion of someone who's rode and owned one. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
I cannot possibly give, what I would call, an informed opinion as I don't have the expertise in such matters nor the benefit of having ridden many bikes. What I will say is that it felt good, nimble, tight and responsive. We did experience problems with gear selection on the front chainset in as much as it wouldn't change up to the biggest cog. I took it back, LBS chap tested it on the stand, fine. I said could the problem be when it's all under load? He took it up the road and again reported no problems and to be fair, it was ok from there on.
The funny thing was, a friend reported the same problem when he one on loan. The LBS did say that Mekk had been criticised by some for using budget components to get it under the £1000 mark but they have now upgraded the spec to deflect such criticism.
Jo and I were sufficiently impressed to place an order and we await delivery any time soon.
We both liked and enjoyed riding the Mekk and for the money, I don't see how you can go too far wrong at the price.
Hope this helps bud.:smile:

Powely

I cannot possibly give, what I would call, an informed opinion as I don't have the expertise in such matters nor the benefit of having ridden many bikes. What I will say is that it felt good, nimble, tight and responsive. We did experience problems with gear selection on the front chainset in as much as it wouldn't change up to the biggest cog. I took it back, LBS chap tested it on the stand, fine. I said could the problem be when it's all under load? He took it up the road and again reported no problems and to be fair, it was ok from there on.
The funny thing was, a friend reported the same problem when he one on loan. The LBS did say that Mekk had been criticised by some for using budget components to get it under the £1000 mark but they have now upgraded the spec to deflect such criticism.
Jo and I were sufficiently impressed to place an order and we await delivery any time soon.
We both liked and enjoyed riding the Mekk and for the money, I don't see how you can go too far wrong at the price.
Hope this helps bud.:smile:

Thanks. It's a tough decision to make isn't it when there is so much choice on the market. If there are any issues with the gear selection, I'll be back at the shop. Surely at this level gear selection should, well, just work!? So when are you expecting yours? I was told just a few days for it to arrive and to be built.

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
Dunno bud, Jo's done it on a cycle to work scheme but the bike is being supplied through my LBS and as you said, any problems then it'll be back to the shop. Yes you're right, all the gears have to do is work.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom