New board game needed.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Can anyone recommend a decent board game or two?

We've played the "classics" (everything from Monopoly to Talisman) to death and are looking for something with depth but not too complicated ( youngest son is 7, but he's been playing D&D since he was 5 ).
Current faves are Qwirkle and Last Night on Earth.
Any ideas for something new?

Maz

Guru
Junior Pictionary?

alicat

Legendary Member
Hare and Tortoise

Abalone

Your youngest is a little young for both but he/she can grow into them.

voodoochilli

Can anyone recommend a decent board game or two?

We've played the "classics" (everything from Monopoly to Talisman) to death and are looking for something with depth but not too complicated ( youngest son is 7, but he's been playing D&D since he was 5 ).
Current faves are Qwirkle and Last Night on Earth.
Any ideas for something new?
Nothing beats chess and its best to learn it young. Need inspiration? Watch "Searching for Bobby Fisher" with your kids or alone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Backgammon!

I used to play it a lot but haven't played for years. There is an ad running on Eurosport at the moment for the Tour d’Azerbaїdjan and one scene shows an old guy playing backgammon on a beautiful board. It got me thinking that I'd like to start playing again.

I think it is a good game for all ages because it doesn't require deep thinking, and there is a degree of luck involved, but it is also a game of skill so results improve with experience.

You could play against a child but not always play the best moves which would give them a chance to win. Be subtle about it so they don't realise. When they get good enough to spot what you are doing, you just up your game!

Reactions: Maz

Stonepark

Über Member
Agricola, strategy game, better than most and can be expanded and grow with age

Maz

Guru
Backgammon!

I used to play it a lot but haven't played for years. There is an ad running on Eurosport at the moment for the Tour d’Azerbaїdjan and one scene shows an old guy playing backgammon on a beautiful board. It got me thinking that I'd like to start playing again.

I think it is a good game for all ages because it doesn't require deep thinking, and there is a degree of luck involved, but it is also a game of skill so results improve with experience.

You could play against a child but not always play the best moves which would give them a chance to win. Be subtle about it so they don't realise. When they get good enough to spot what you are doing, you just up your game!
I've got a backgammon game, but the rules are written in poor English. Need to find a clear set of rules online!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm with maggot - Frustration has really stood the test of time in our family. It's anything but complicated, not sure about depth, but it's a game all ages can enjoy (and win). You wouldn't want it as your only game (that depth thing), but as a reliable standard it's hard to beat.

Tim Hall

Risk? Games used to go on for days. They've tweaked the rules these days, to give "express" variants.

Mancala? Not really a board game, but dead good all the same.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I splashed out on Zombicide on Saturday after seeing a game in progress at the LGS (local Games Shop).

A massive Monday games marathon resulted in us eventually losing to the growing hordes of undead - Fun had by all.... especially the 7yr old - who took great delight in standing in a doorway defending his mum with a chainsaw and sawn-off shotgun :smile:

Descent does look good though.. may be my next purchase - after I finish painting 100 zombie figures :smile:

Top Bottom