New board game needed.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Galaxy truckers is fun, until you forget a critical component and lose the front of your ship!!

the lord of the rings, war of the ring game is good (is slightly risk based and lots of minis all in 2/3 colours so may need some base painting) but first play will take somewhere in the region of 4-5 hours (we tried it over 3 and got the ring no-where near the gates of mordor!)

try Smallworld too, the race/ability combos on it are great!!

puerto rico is also another fun one. and i have heard good things about descent as well.

if you can get 4-5 people then cosmic encounters is good

Maz

Guru
Backgammon Galore! has a nice explanation - link.

I'm going to find a backgammon app for my Galaxy Tab. (I don't want to play other people online - I'd rfather play real people face to face!)
Looks complicated, but I'm sure it can't be that bad.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks complicated, but I'm sure it can't be that bad.
You will soon pick it up.

I installed a highly-recommended Android backgammon app last night. It is beautifully designed but the gameplay is not up to the standard that it should be. I have won all 7 games so far. Even on its highest level, it makes mistakes bearing off, and it insists on playing out losing positions and insists on me manually moving the pieces on forced moves. The search continues ...

Reactions: Maz

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We've played the "classics" (everything from Monopoly to Talisman)..

My god that takes me back! I'd rather be a merchant than a ninja!

Abalone

isn't that really hard to get hold of? I've played it, liked it, wanted it but never found it.

I've got a backgammon game, but the rules are written in poor English. Need to find a clear set of rules online!

they're more or less the same rules as Ludo/Sorry/Frustration... you roll your die, make your move, if you land on an opponent's piece it goes back to the start.

Used to play a variation called Bitchy Backgammon, where if you score a double you can move a counter in reverse, but only if it lands on an opponent's peice, putting them on the bar... doesn't really serve any purpose apart from being bitchy.

Reactions: Maz

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

if you can get 4-5 people then cosmic encounters is good

Another blast from the past!

Tim Hall

Not available any more, but we had a game called Cabby. Move the plastic cabs around a simplified map of London, picking up fares. It did wonders for The Boy's London geography.

Maz

Guru
I play Mikado with my 6 year old sometimes. I think it's much better with proper sticks, though.

Top Bottom