New Boardman Hybrid Pro - Major design flaw?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teasy

I just bought a brand new Boardman Hybrid Pro from Halfords. I've got basic knowledge of bikes so have put it together myself (almost everything is already put together in the box anyway).

As soon as I sat on it I noticed a major issue, the crank actually touches the front wheel! I know about toe overlap but that's not what I mean here. I mean the crank itself hits the front wheel..

Like I said I'm far from an expert but I don't see what I could have done to cause this when putting it together, but it also seems amazing to me that this could be a design flaw in such a popular bike.

Am I missing something obvious? I've attached pics

Attachments

• IMG_20170901_113937.jpg
    IMG_20170901_113937.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20170901_113948.jpg
    IMG_20170901_113948.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 225

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Teasy and :welcome: to the site.

I'm afraid that yes, you have missed something: The fork is on back to front.

If you turn it round the other way all will be well and the wheel will be clear of the crank and the frame.:okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
This has to be a wind-up, surely!

Once you do get that fork facing the right way, refit the skewer so that the QR lever is on the left of the bike and close the lever extremely tightly in a vertical position in front of the fork leg.

OP
OP
T

Teasy

Seriously?, the forks came installed like that so I'm not sure how to turn them? Do I need a certain tool for the hole at the front of the forks to be able to turn them?

EDIT: Haha obviously now I take the time to notice of course, was just panicking too much to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teasy

Haha, I've only ever had basic mountain bikes before and to me they're only a means to a end (travel) so I know almost nothing about them outside of basic maintanance of a already complete bike. Now that its pointed out yeah I can see its obvious :laugh:, but was panicking too much to notice and was only looking at what I had fitted for something I'd done wrong.

Everything on the bike came pre-fitted except the handle bars, pedals and front wheel. So I'd assumed the people in the factory would have put the forks on right :laugh:

Anyway this is a massive relief so cheers for your help. Any info on how to turn the forks?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, seriously.

The forks are turned round that way for transport so that the bike will fit into the smallest box possible. You'll need to loosen the stem to turn the fork around, which on this bike will require an allen key - probably 5mm.

There are usually three bolts. Two that hold the stem onto the steerer and the one on the top of the steerer that adjusts the preload. Loosen these and turn the fork around then follow the instructions in this article to reset the adjustment and tighten things up again.

Steering is obviously safety critical so if you aren't 100% confident get your local bike shop to do it.

Edit: said headset, meant stem.:blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teasy

Thanks everyone, like I said I just get to work on my bike and sort of panicked when a £900 purchase wasn't working. Should have noticed the obvious but was too quick to just get things tightened up and ready to go right out of the box. That's why places like this are so helpful. Cheers again!

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's okay, you can show your appreciation by sending everyone who has contributed to your knowledge a fiver for the weekend's beers.

Don't forget to refit that skewer with the lever to the left.

Jason

I thought the reversed front fork was a myth - but now it's real and made me laugh. I guess non bike people don't know what they are looking it :-) :-)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I thought the reversed front fork was a myth - but now it's real and made me laugh. I guess non bike people don't know what they are looking it :-) :-)
Oh, definitely not a myth. When I ran my rickshaw business it never ceased to amaze me the number of people I saw riding around the park with their forks on backwards.

When a family group (2 adults and 3 children) went past like that I tried to warn them the bikes hadn't been assembled properly and got a look like I was some kind of raving nutter.:laugh:

Jason

I met up for a quick ride with a college mate last night, and he decided to bring his 14 year old son along on his disc mtb, as they had driven over, the front wheels of both bikes had been removed
"hey JB can you check my sons bike, the front brake doesn't work"
"yeah sure - what happens when you squeeze the lever"
"the caliper moves but no brakes"
"might help if you rotate the wheel by 180 and put the disc inside the caliper mate" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

incorectly fitted wheel.jpg

Top Bottom