New Boardman SLR 8.6, OR, 2nd hand BMC SR01? Same price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Logan03

Been holding out for a number of weeks to get a new Boardman SLR 8.6 from Halfords for £550 but I recently came across a second-hand BMC SR01 for same price.

The BMC is well maintained and has the Ultegra groupset. The Boardman has Shimano Claris. Please tell me which one I should go for?

I am open to alternate suggestions too, as long as they are around £550.

vickster

Legendary Member
BMC if it fits and feels good to ride, just check it’s the sellers to sell :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The BMC is a quality machine and well reviewed in its time but it could be be up to nine years old so check it over very well and if the owner has some service history that might help. Is it your size? Don’t forget you have a warranty with a new bike plus some help if you have a problem and a pick of sizes.

BTW welcome to the forum ^_^

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Generally Boardmans offer great value for money, however on the face of it the BMC seems like a much better buy, subject to all the usual second-hand caveats so check the frame for straightness, damage, cracks and the components for wear and damage.. try to get an idea of how many miles its covered / how it's been treated / what sort of conditions it's endured..

Like anything used it could be anything from a savvy purchase to a wrecked money pit :tongue:

OP
OP
Logan03

Logan03

The BMC is a quality machine and well reviewed in its time but it could be be up to nine years old so check it over very well and if the owner has some service history that might help. Is it your size? Don’t forget you have a warranty with a new bike plus some help if you have a problem and a pick of sizes.

BTW welcome to the forum ^_^
Thank you so much. I am going to ask about the service history. The BMC has a small frame. I am 5'7 (170cm) with inside leg of 28.7 inches (73cm) so I am hoping that should be ok.

OP
OP
Logan03

Logan03

Generally Boardmans offer great value for money, however on the face of it the BMC seems like a much better buy, subject to all the usual second-hand caveats so check the frame for straightness, damage, cracks and the components for wear and damage.. try to get an idea of how many miles its covered / how it's been treated / what sort of conditions it's endured..

Like anything used it could be anything from a savvy purchase to a wrecked money pit :tongue:
Only if I could take you with me to inspect the bike and interrogate the buyer ha! I shall now educate myself on how to do all of those things as I have no idea how to check the straightness of a frame.

vickster

Legendary Member
Only if I could take you with me to inspect the bike and interrogate the buyer ha! I shall now educate myself on how to do all of those things as I have no idea how to check the straightness of a frame.
Is it a metal frame with carbon forks?
If so check for dents in the frame, any damage to the paintwork, that the wheels run true and that the rims aren’t over worn and there is meat on the brake pads. Ask for a testride and run through all the gears and check the brakes work (but don’t lock the wheels and send yourself over the handlebars :whistle: )

Hudson1984

Über Member
I jumped on a boardman in halfords a few months back and they're damned comfy.

what generation is the ultegra? I mean ultegra from 5 years ago won't be far different to new claris.

vickster

Legendary Member

what generation is the ultegra? I mean ultegra from 5 years ago won't be far different to new claris.
Other than being 10x2 speed (vs 8x2), and rather smoother and lighter (and much nicer to hold in the hand) - 5 years ago isn't that old :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
ok so I was grabbing a number, just meant it's not necessarily great purely as it has Ultegra on it.
Of course not but it’ll shift smoother, be lighter and the look is more aesthetic (not as nice as SRAM of course ;))

but a lightly used 5 year old bike is not obsolete in anyway (in contrast to what marketeers might imply :unsure:)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

While I agree with your sentiment in principal, 5yrs for the lowest-spec groupset to become equivalent to that one notch from the top is a bit extreme. Of course it's all academic if the Ultegra's worn out..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can get someone who knows about bikes it would be very useful. If you can’t you can do the following. Check the wheels are true by spinning them and check the spokes are tight. Hold the front brake on and move the bars back and forth, any play here or clonking indicates worn head bearings. Hold the crank and check for movement, any play indicates a worn bottom bracket. Eyeball the bike from the back and make sure the wheels line up. Check the tyres for wear and perishing. Finally ride it and make sure the gears shift cleanly and brakes operate well. Are you comfortable on it, not just the saddle but is the position good once you’ve set the saddle height? It’s quite a racy bike so might have a head down attitude. The Boardman is going to be less extreme and more relaxed.
Any wear or out of true wheels aren’t deal breakers but can be used to haggle down the price.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Logan03

Logan03

I dont know which generation it is exactly within Ultegra. The bike was bought new in 2016 if that helps in any way.

Top Bottom