New-born's name dilemma.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fab Foodie said:
I always thought mine meant my parents didn't like me...

It was only recently that I found out it was true...

Not too bad if you check wiki FF :blush: Mine means "strong, manly and courageous". :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
betty swollocks said:
Some friends of mine have just had their first child - a little boy.
They are both beautiful, gentle people who bring great joy to all who are fortunate to know them and being hippy-ish, an unusual name was on the cards.
On googling the name they chose, the first entry I find is the name given to the world's first smart bomb, used against the Japanese in the closing stages of WW2.

The babe is only a couple of days old, so it's not too late to change his name. Should I advise them of my find?

They called their child 'Fat Boy'?

That's bad! :smile:

I think 'The Boy Named Sue'Theory has something in it, but that's taking things too far. :biggrin:

strofiwimple

Veteran
Ive never been able to work out why people have to come up with new weird and wonderful names for their children-do they think it will make them stand out from the crowd? Unless you live in cotton wool land like sir bob geldof i think naming your daughter fifi trixibelle etc is more likely to stunt any creatitvity that child might have because of the constant p*ss taking rather than nurture it-just a thought.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I am, apparently, a lover of horses....

I haven't been arrested yet (fortunately)... but then I haven't fulfilled my names potential fully.

I like them.

I'm happy to leave it on a platonic basis. :angry:

Maz

Guru
I know someone who named their girl Taloola.
Another one called Summer.
Another one called India.
Are these pretentious or OK?

Maz said:

Summer and India are pretentious. Call me a working class warrior but I instantly want to punch anyone called that.
Taloola is just plain daft, but it could be shortened to something more acceptable like tally, or lou.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Maz said:

maybe they're places that the said babies were conceived or born..like
april, may, june, dawn, mablethorpe on a wet october afternoon?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:

I think India is the one with the longest tradition, I think that might go back to Victorian time even - so I'd say it was less pretentios, more old fashioned perhaps... Summer is just a bit hippy and taloola just reminds me of Bugsy Malone...

ChrisKH

Guru
It's a personal choice. I personally think Azon is a very strong name, and I usually shy away from anything non-conventional. I like it. You can be a bomb without being destructive. You just tell your kid that when he was born, he blew them away.:angry:

It doesn't have to be negative.

I wouldn't be inclined to raise it with them though as it could be taken as jealousy or sour grapes. My own brother chose Samuel for his own son's name in the full knowledge this was my own son's second name (he was at the Baptism ffs) and then denied knowing this. It can split families, so you have to be very very good friends to even consider raising it as an issue.

Canrider

Guru
Given the Allied code-names assigned to Japanese planes, this eliminates:
Irving
Jack
Tony
Randy
Frank
George
And that's just the fighters! (Girl names for bombers, it would seem)

Why, yes, I am sitting around the house waiting for the courier to show up!

Maz

Guru
I was once introduced to a guy when I was working in the US.
Shook his hand:
"Hi, how're you? I'm Randy".

I just about managed to contain my laughter.

Top Bottom