New brakes and rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Guys,

Quick question. New bike with new brake pads. I noticed today on the downhill I was getting a lot of road grime / brake muck on the braking surface which caused a lot of noise (not squealing more of a harsh rubbing noise). When I finished it all wiped off just fine, but was very black. I wondering if this is usual for new pads when wet, and if it will eventually go away once they are properly bedded in?

Thx

J

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Stock brake pads are crap. get something like Salmon koolstops.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Thx both. Have ordered new pads. Seems stock Shimano (even dura ace pads) are to blame as they leave crud on the rims in the wet. If not wiped off immediately after it can corrode the rims.

I've just bought some Swissstop pads. Got a few mile left in my current ones but the swissstop seem to have good reviews. They are meant to be kind to the rims, good in the wet and contain no abrasives.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

dave r thanks for that link i shall get a couple of prs on order for my older style calipers

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Koolstop Continentals from Simpsoncycles.co.uk £6.30 including postage; Koolstop Continentals from Spa Cycles £4.00 plus postage unless your order totals £50 or more. Just thought I'd mention it! :thumbsup:

I tend to hang on until I've built up a list of wants which totals over £50, which sometimes leads to me stockpiling chainrings or some such items which I know I'm going to need at some point, or asking cycling colleagues if they want to join in on an order. Thanks for the reminder, though, Dave R; I went for a short ride round the National Watersports centre at Holme Pierrepont today, as my wife wanted to try my Brompton with a view to getting me to buy her one, and decided the brakes on the Holdsworth I bought for a bargain £40 last year were not really up to the job of stopping my excessive bulk in an acceptable distance. They're rather attractive Shimano Dura-Ace, but single-pivot and with the original Shimano pads. I'm torn between getting some cheapish dual pivots (possibly financed by putting the Dura-Aces on ebay!) or replacing the pads with some Koolstops - probably the best first step. I'll also be holidaying in a Normandy gite later this year, and may take a pair of Koolstops to replace the pads on my host's road bike. I gave it a fairly thorough servicing last time I was over there, including swapping the pedals over so the left pedal was on the left crank and vice-versa(!) but could have done with some decent pads for the steel rims - the bike rides OK, but you need plenty of advance notice for stopping. :eek:

Top Bottom