New brakes or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all.
I own a CAADX with Promax brakes which are now getting silly. I’m adjusting them weekly and they’re continuously spongy after a day or two, to the point where I’m feeling unsure whenever I’m out on it.
someone has today recommended these as an alternative;

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/...ull-disc-brake-set-black-cyclocross-road.html

My question are these; what else do I need in order to fit these? Is there an alternative to these? Is changing the brakes on the bike feasible? Or should I sell the CAADX and look at a different bike?

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
my promax render-r on the Genesis were poor I swapped the front for an avid bb7, cable I know ,but a great improvement and easier to adjust on offer at spa cycles for £60 for brake and rotor

si_c

Guru
Change the brakes, promax units have a generally terrible reputation.

I've heard good things about the juins but make sure you get the right ones for your brake levers the MTB ones are for v brakes and have a different cable pull to road levers meaning your braking performance won't be right.

Alternatively putting a TRP brake on just the front is a cost effective option.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Thanks for the replies so far. My reasoning behind the new bike comment is am I throwing money at a problem that’s not going to improve without hydraulic brakes. I know I can get £500 for the CAADX as it stands but to be honest I’d rather not sell as I love the bike and geometry!
But and here’s the rub, I’m nowhere as near confident on this bike as any of my previous ones and that’s causing my rides to be less fun

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Change the brakes. Promax stuff is rubbish. THEN get another. One bike is not enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies so far. My reasoning behind the new bike comment is am I throwing money at a problem that’s not going to improve without hydraulic brakes. I know I can get £500 for the CAADX as it stands but to be honest I’d rather not sell as I love the bike and geometry!
But and here’s the rub, I’m nowhere as near confident on this bike as any of my previous ones and that’s causing my rides to be less fun
Change to hydraulics then but it’ll cost you. But there are much better mechanicals

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
BB7's.
They've been around for donkeys years with little change in the original design simply because they just work.
Haven't had to adjust or tamper with mine in months.
Another plus with cable brakes is that you're not limited to any one brake lever.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I'm in a similar situation as the OP with regard to being disappointed with my standard CAADX Render Disc brakes and was going to take a punt at the TRP Spyre myself. However, I'm torn between splashing out on the full set of brand new stuff (Calipers/Discs/Pads/Compressionless Housing & Cables) that I may not be impressed with, or to go down the used route just in case. Obviously the used route will be cheaper but, I may then not get a true idea of the TRP's performance if they are too worn etc.. I even toyed with going brand new everything on the front only as I believe that is where the majority of your braking comes from but, would that be a true comparison either 🤔

As always, your experience, knowledge and opinions would be greatfully appreciated.. That sounded a bit sarcastic but it honestly wasn't meant to be :okay:

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I have to say, I’m super impressed with the Juin R1s. Fitted them yesterday and the stopping ability is 100 times better. So much so today’s average speed over 20 miles was 16mph woth a top speed of 32mph so high was my confidence In stopping! Highly recommend them

JPBoothy

Veteran
I'm sure they are but a bit pricey though. I appreciate that you get what you pay for but there are limits. Are they full hydraulic or some sort of hybrid combination like the TRP HyRd?

Top Bottom