New Brommie first thoughts - Mad Max and more mirror musings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowers

Regular
At last after seven weeks my custom-built Brommie has finally arrived. I rode home for 5 miles after her indoors dropped me off on the way back from the dealer.According to Brompton the reason for the delay was that there was a shortage of orange frames . On the first night Max was allowed to stay in the lounge. I did ask whether I could put max at the bottom of the bed as it was newborn and not just for Christmas but my lady insisted that it would have to go in the garage the following day - alternatively I could move into the garage .
Why is it called MadMax? Because the lady thinks I'm completely mad in buying a Brompton and I've also maxed out expenditure.
So what are my very first impressions?
Well I've got to say I really like it. I'm not an experienced cyclist but have been using a hybrid bike a little more this year. I live in a hilly area and am pleased that I purchased the six speed Version. I have the H bars as I am an old fogey and prefer the upright riding position. Being retired the main reason for buying the Brompton is exercise on our frequent away days and just the convenience of popping It in the car for holidays together with local short trips to family friends and shops.i was a little concerned that I may have made the wrong decision in buying a Brooks saddle however initial feelings are that I have a Brooks derriere and I am not expecting any problems. . I have already done the proofing thing and have ordered some helicopter tape to protect the fold areas and areas where cables rub. Sadly passing a sports direct shop I have managed to buy coordinating orange and black muddy fox jacket and cycling shirt. The fold is a little challenging but I am confident that I will get better very quickly. Gearchange is a little unusual but I didn't have any trouble finding the lower gears on the hill climbs home.Downhill I am a bit nervous and 20 mph was fine for me before gently applying brakes. Yes the front is a little twitchy but certainly I think it's just a question of just getting used to it. I still can't decide on a mirror which I think I really need . I don't like the aesthetics of the Mirrycle although I suspect it is the best available . I am pleased with the Ergo Biokork grip shifts and am playing about with a zefal spyglass. I have not seen any pictures of a suitable solution so if anyone has thoughts on a mirror ( or two for aesthetics ) that would perhaps fit on the H bar upright then please advise.
Now of course the main thing is to get out and ride it more instead of writing on this forum. Unfortunately the dose of man flu has precluded that for the time being. I can't wait.......

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Thanks. For anyone thinking of Orange the middle picture is closest to the actual colour - the other two pics have some sunlight reflection.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nice bike, my next brommy will be orange.

Mirror. Zefal Dooback. It is simply the best mirror for bars such as the H (ex broken neck & somewhat limited rotational movement, I quite literally trust my life to it) I have one on my S bar & its fine in the fold. I've tried lots of mirrors, I cannot recommend this one highly enough.
If you would feel happier with a smaller one, Zefal Spin or Spy are both very good.

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
From what I can tell a mirror on the right bar end will work but a corresponding mirror on the left is not possible as the H bar almost touches the ground?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
From what I can tell a mirror on the right bar end will work but a corresponding mirror on the left is not possible as the H bar almost touches the ground?
Yes, I tend to just use a very good one on the right if you want one either end too, then maybe the spin or spy would be better, though the Dooback does ratchet back on itself to lie along the line of the grips. I'm not sure how deep the grass is in the folded pic as to whether the folded mirror would catch the ground or not.

Spin:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/344/zemr474001/zefal-spin-mirror.html

Its tremendously compact and omnidirecrional in use and when folded hopefully as you can see in the link. You would be able to set it to whatever position suited to keep it off the ground.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Very smart - nice saddle.

I don't think it should have to live in the garage. Mine lives in the porch and comes into the kitchen for her weekly bath.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lovely bike and glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I look in on a website called "My Orange Brompton" occasionally. Its quite a good read and informative.

roundthebendbromcycle

he's right there you know, a bit of weight does help, I've had mine do about the legal limit (30 not 70) with a bag on the front and no twitching at all, was surprised.
Not that you will get much weight in that ortileb bag, nice bag mind and that colour co-ordination is great, there are not many areas where us chaps can get colour co-ordinated, see's a beautty.

Top Bottom