New Brompton advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowers

Regular
Just a couple more sleeps before my new Bromoton arrives. I notice that after market full or part frame protectors are available. I do not want to adorn the bike with any extra weight etc but was just wondering if anyone could advise through experience what parts of the bike are most prone to damage through opening and closing ( e.g pedal rub? ) and is there anything I should consider to keep the bike in as pristine condition as possible. I am a fine weather rider only and no regular commuting. Any other advise for maintaining the bike most welcome thank you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I ride mine through winter, so bear that in mind, but I find cable rub to be a problem, and the first thing I'd do is cover the bits of main tube, underside of bottom bracket, and steerer that the cables move against. (Watch as you move the bike, and as you fold it).

If you ride when the ground is wet, be sure to give it a good wipe down too - they're low to the ground, and so get pretty wet and mucky.

This post covers the points of cable rub pretty well (not my site, but echoes my experiences).
http://www.myorangebrompton.com/2013/10/protecting-your-brompton_28.html

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Excellent advice thank you John. It makes sound sense to use the 2m x 100 cm helicopter tape on the most vulnerable parts of the bike whilst it is new sim I shall order some and check where rubbing is most likely.
Great tip for any new purchaser methinks

roundthebendbromcycle

I always carry a little plastic container of 3 in 1 oil, the little bottles you get for camping liquids with a close-able squirter, anytime the chain starts grinding a bit I just pull up the nearest kerb flip the wheel under, whip out my squirter, 3 or 4 drops and its fine for another few weeks. its surprisingly satisfying.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Excellent advice thank you John. It makes sound sense to use the 2m x 100 cm helicopter tape on the most vulnerable parts of the bike whilst it is new sim I shall order some and check where rubbing is most likely.
Great tip for any new purchaser methinks
I wish I'd known it - Hammerite doesn't quite match the black powdercoat :smile:

Top Bottom