New Brompton special Edition: Barbour Edition 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
This would sum up to guessed about roughly GBP 490 in extras. The price difference against the standard bike in real money is GBP555. So either I am missing something or miscalculated the extras or the do charge extra money for a special edition above the worth of the extra bits for the first time with a special edition. Given the reselling prices of Brompton special editions they probably would be kind of stupid not to (and it would in comparison to the reseller offers be a modest extra price tag), though I do absolutely dislike it.

That's only if you bought an original bike and tossed all your brand new parts away and then went out and bought new ones from scratch.

I THINK we're saying the same thing. I don't believe it's worth paying extra for a limited edition if it doesn't offer anything more. If it does, then fine. But if you get charged more than those things are worth over and above a standard part, then it is a rip off. IMHO.

I'm not talking specifically about this bike, I've not looked at the figures in the way that you have, I'm talking in generic terms (and about all products, not just Bromptons).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That's only if you bought an original bike and tossed all your brand new parts away and then went out and bought new ones from scratch.

I THINK we're saying the same thing. I don't believe it's worth paying extra for a limited edition if it doesn't offer anything more. If it does, then fine. But if you get charged more than those things are worth over and above a standard part, then it is a rip off. IMHO.

I'm not talking specifically about this bike, I've not looked at the figures in the way that you have, I'm talking in generic terms (and about all products, not just Bromptons).

It's not a rip off. They're are offering a product for sale, that may or may not have value for money for a particular buyer. But they are not ripping anyone off. The pricing is up front, nothing is hidden you make a choice.

I don't see any value in paying extra for the bits on pieces on that particular offer, but I'm not the intended market, its a fashion thing I expect.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran

Tere's no doubt that it is offering "something" more (and that from that results a higher price). The question is if that "something" is interesting for you (and you are thus willing to pay for it in general) and secondly if the price for that "something" is reasonable (within market prices) or over expensive. In general, until now, the surcharche was reasonable, if the extra bits were interesting depends from the own tase.
The common claim that there were no extra bits with special editions, just a different color, and the surcharge were 100% due to increased profits has never been true and is still not true.

I think we are indeed basically in the same boat. Maybe we are however rowing in different directions. :laugh:

Kell

Veteran
The common claim that there were no extra bits with special editions, just a different color, and the surcharge were 100% due to increased profits has never been true and is still not true.

But I've never claimed that.

There are however, multiple times when products are available in a limited colourway (which often costs no more to produce) and the result is a price hike - purely because it's limited.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
But I've never claimed that.
Yup, that's why we are in the same boat. But if you look further up the thread or in other "discussions" about Brompton special editions you'll find plenty of people claiming that.
There are however, multiple times when products are available in a limited colourway (which often costs no more to produce) and the result is a price hike - purely because it's limited.

Nature of capitalism, that's how it works. That's why software developers earn a fortune while fishermen don't. In that sense, a software-developer is basically more or less the same as a Brompton special edition. :laugh:

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Does and it doesn’t.

I was trying to think of another good example of ‘special editions’

Cars tend to be my reference point.

Very often a special edition car will be (but not always) a close out deal on the end of a production before they bring out a new model - it helps get rid of old stock before the value plummets. It might also be a mid-life upgrade to renew interest.

I’ve had Audis for years, they very often have S-Line models (in case of our current car, it was a S-Line Plus) which offer you bundles of kit. The bundle is less than the individual cost of all the parts of you were to spec them all separately. It’s a way of giving you perceived value by including things at a discounted price - which you may not have otherwise specced. You end up spending more, but think you’re getting a better deal.

That’s what I’m referring to if you have to pay more than the incremental cost for a special edition.

I don’t think it offers value. Therefore I do think in those instances it’s a rip off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Very often a special edition car will be (but not always) a close out deal on the end of a production before they bring out a new model - it helps get rid of old stock before the value plummets. It might also be a mid-life upgrade to renew interest.
Exactly. But that's a totally different intention than Brompton have with their special editions. Brompton do not need to discount, they use them to rise (long term) awareness, much in the way what car companies use concept cars for. The actual sell of the special edition ist not at all relevant (as they would sell the bikes they are able to produce anyway) - it is about getting known by people that are not aware of Brompton and to showcase the possibilities. For car companies special editions are a short term sales driver to polish up their numbers, for Brompton they are a strategic sales/growth driver, that has no intention to have a direct short-term effect in the numbers but a long term effect. It's about emotion, not about the best deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
As the comprehensive pages about the 2022 Barbour are now live we do have the pricing.
The bike costs GBP1895 (whereas a normal M6L/C-Line explore mid costs GBP 1350 according to Brompton). Differences to the standard bike are:
• brass bell (instead of standard mini bell) -> GBP 20?
• Aluminium Pump (instead of Plastic) -> GBP 20?
• Schwalbe Almotion tanwall tires (instead of M Racer) -> GBP 60?
• Brooks Cambium in different color than standard (instead of Brompton Saddle= -> GBP 100?
• telescopic seat post (instead of standard long post) -> GBP 50?
• Barbour Weekender bag and saddle pouch -> GBP 240

This would sum up to guessed about roughly GBP 490 in extras. The price difference against the standard bike in real money is GBP555. So either I am missing something (...)
Indeed I missed something: Looking at the pics I realized that the Barbour also comes equipped with the "premium" aluminium hinge clamps that were introduced with the CHPT3 and are now sold as an extra at GBP75: https://www.brompton.com/shop/parts/aluminium-hinge-clamp-and-rear-frame-set
This makes a revisited ballpark guess of GBP 565 for the extras while the price difference to a standard bike is GBP 555. So once more the price difference between standard model and special edition is caused 100% by the extra bits included in the special edition.

barbour-x-brompton-c-line-explore-ref-alt14_2.png

yoho oy

Well, no one forces you to buy special edition. It is for true fans, perhaps collectors.

Jody

Stubborn git
I think, unfortunately, the people that buy them now are not collectors. They're people looking to profit.

Indeed. Limited numbers, false hype, greed and FOMO are the driving forces.

Re-sellers ultimately find the true market value but I bet a few get stung.

It really doesn't matter what the product is.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
I think, unfortunately, the people that buy them now are not collectors. They're people looking to profit.

Brompton have for that reason, starting with this year, limited the sale of special editions to any given person limited. I think to one per year. Obviously easy to maneuver this out but Brompton's possibilities are limited and that's at least a signal that they dislike this behaviour.

roley poley

Über Member
If my well loved T3 were stolen tomorrow i would buy its modern equal.....I am biased towards its utilities...I don't need a special to enjoy the engineering ..they do look very nice...May any new owner use it to its full potential beyond the garnish

Tenkaykev

Guru
There’s a T line for sale on our local Gumtree. The seller says he purchased it 3 months ago but has since decided that he really wants a titanium gravel bike. He then goes on to say that it’s brand new and still in the box. Asking price is £5,250 😮
It sounds like he purchased it to make a quick profit.

Tom...

Veteran
Still don't understand why sellers are commanding a premium on eBay, these are in stock on Brompton's website directly and at most retailers. Some have sold for double RRP :wacko:

Top Bottom