New Brose electric drive system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I gather that a new EU law is in effect, requiring a fake noise to be generated for e-cars traveling at less than 12mph.
Won't be long before a similar law comes into effect for e-bikes, which generates a puffing and panting sound with random creaks.

Mart44

Über Member
My Scott e-bike has a Brose motor. Perhaps not the exact motor shown in the page linked to because the bike is a year old now. However, the bike itself is the same shape as the one shown in the page with the battery being integrated into the frame. I don't know whether this is the best motor/system to have but I find it does the job very well (up to 16 MPH) and doesn't make any appreciable noise.

I had to return the bike to the shop a couple of times because of a battery charging problem. The battery took no notice of the charger being plugged in and wouldn't charge at all. A bit of trial and error was needed (resetting - turning off and on) to get it to charge. The problem was eventually cured by a firmware upgrade and it has been no trouble ever since.

I'm well pleased with the bike all in all.

rualexander

Legendary Member
This looks interesting, a new drive system claimed to be whisper quiet with belt drive;
https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/brose-mid-drive-and-battery-system-electric-bike/

The 'whisper quietness' and belt drive of Brose motors is not new, they've been making them for a while now.
My friend has a Specialized Turbo Levo e-mtb with a Brose motor, and it is virtually silent, even on smooth tarmac you can't really hear it riding alongside it.

aldus

The 'whisper quietness' and belt drive of Brose motors is not new, they've been making them for a while now.
My friend has a Specialized Turbo Levo e-mtb with a Brose motor, and it is virtually silent, even on smooth tarmac you can't really hear it riding alongside it.

Yeah, I wish those Gates belt drives didn't add so much to the cost; I've been looking at some of the e-folders that use them here and they charge a premium for them. And they even make the Bosch systems quieter!

Top Bottom