New build crosser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I posted the two earlier threads about brakes and wheels but to simplify things I thought I'd put all my questions in this thread instead.

Thanks for all your advice so far, I've decided to use the old Jalco wheels which I already own and I've ordered a pair of Froggleg brakes.

I have a couple of other questions though.

1/ Even though it's a bit over budget I've decided to go for Shimano 105 running gear. Any comments? Also should I order the long or short rear derailleur? What's the difference?

2/ Do I have Italian or English bottom bracket thread?

3/ Someone mentioned that I should have the BB fitted by my LBS because it's vital to get it placed correctly, is this true?

4/ Can I use normal brake cables with the Frogglegs or do I have to adapt them in some way?

I'm sure I'll be back with other questions so thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

papercorn2000

1. The longer cage will let you run a wider spread of gears - not a bad idea.

2. Don't know. See LBS

3. See 2.

4. Normal cables should be fine with frogglegs.

RedBike

1/ Even though it's a bit over budget I've decided to go for Shimano 105 running gear. Any comments? Also should I order the long or short rear derailleur? What's the difference?
Irronically 9spd seems to work better in the mud than 10spd. Not much in it though. A long cage mech allows you to use a larger spread of gears. (A triple instead of a double.) I think the largest cassette you can use with a shimano road mechs is 27 teeth.

To use a MTB cassette (upto 34) you need to use 9spd shifters and a MTB rear mech.

2/ Do I have Italian or English bottom bracket thread?
I don't know which frame you have. The chance are (unless it's an itallian make) that it's English.

3/ Someone mentioned that I should have the BB fitted by my LBS because it's vital to get it placed correctly, is this true?
Ideally you need to have the frame 'faced'. This is basically removing the paint / a small amount of metal so that two bottom bracket cups when placed on the outside of the frame are perfectly aligned with each other.

You can get away with just fitting the bottom bracket without having the frame faced and praying the bearings are aligned correctly.
(Incorrectly aligned bearings wont run as smoothly and will wear out quicker. )

4/ Can I use normal brake cables with the Frogglegs or do I have to adapt them in some way?
You use normal cable.
When you put the arms on be sure to set the pads so that they toe in. You might need to bend the arms slightly to achieve this.

Then you need to experiment with how long you make the straddle wire (The wire joining the two arms together).
Have a read of this. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

OP
OP
DustBowlRefugee
Thanks for that RedBike you answered most of my questions. My frame is a 2007 Specialized Tricross S-Works so I guess it's English. I definately get someont to do the facing for me.

Thanks
Mark

Top Bottom