New build - no insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
The building companies sign off their own inspection and trust you not to look. New build houses by the large companies are notorious for shoddy work. Even when built right, many have a design life of 25 years.
Persimmon definitely, but I'm sure there are more than a few that would disagree with that, even if it is well documented that complaints about new builds are at an all time high.

D

Deleted member 26715

Might be worth talking to your local council building inspectors, they were very keen on insulation in our recent house extension. But as above I'm sure you'll be covered under the NHBC 10 year rule.

midlife

Guru
With our last 2 new houses here in Carlisle the NHBC just send you back to the builder to sort it........

U

User6179

We bought a new build Persimmons home 2 years ago, and have always been concerned with how cold two of the bedrooms are.
We've been fobbed off when we've brought it up - house drying out, radiators needing bleeding, that sort of thing.
I finally got them to send someone out to look into it properly though and it turns out there's no insulation in the walls/ceiling. I'm not entirely sure where it's supposed to be the workman they sent admitted he was confusing himself trying to explain hot and cold roof space to me.
Unfortunately they'd shut up shop for Christmas by the time he delivered the news, so I have to wait until Wednesday to explode.
Has anyone any experience with this? Or just know a bit about insulation?

Is it a kit house?
Insulation should be behind the plasterboard between the wooden studs.

4375af_8038c995ea2043a4a6724a15aa640759.png

Slick

Guru
From that link:
"A 10 year warranty (NHBC or similar)
is provided with every new Persimmon home."
"Similar" suggests other schemes may be used.
Yes, that's why I included that one in particular.

I would have thought that you should be due some compensation for wasting all that energy trying to hear that room.
I would also guess that there may be other people on your estate with a similar problem. It may be worth contacting some of your neighbours .

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but has anyone on here had that beaded cavity wall insulation done in their house? Thinking about having it done as my hallways freezing (pre1930s house). I have read a few complimentary reviews but also a few horror stories that have put me right off.
I think @summerdays did.
I had cavity wall done in a previous house, but it was some kind of fluff they injected.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The loft insulation is an easy fix. Just a load of rolled insulation.
The wall cavity will be much harder to fix. There should be insulation in the walls. They may have to drill holes and blow insulation in.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd think a mortgage provider would still do a survey, assuming there's a mortgage. Not very thorough but would still look at that. Do new builds also need EPC? I had one done recently, looked at insulation...so I know I have no insulation in loft (although it is boarded and carpeted)
For a new build I imagine it would be a "drive by" at most.

Top Bottom