New cassette - IG chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevie_b

Hi all,

I've got an unused Shimano 8-speed cassette (CS-HG70-i) sitting around at home which I want to fit to my hybrid commuter. The box says something like "HG Gear 8 speed" on it. I want to replace my chain at the same time. What chain should I buy?

With all the "HGs" in the product description, it seemed pretty clear that I could go for any Shimano HG chain... until I saw this description of my cassette: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg70-i-8-speed-cassette/

So it looks like I'll need an IG chain. I can't find any for sale anywhere. Should I just use an 8-speed SRAM chain, as I've read somewhere that they are compatible with IG kit?

I've also read that HG chains (which are readily available, e.g. CN-HG40) can jam on the sprockets of an IG cassette, and that sounds like a trouser-soiling scenario if I'm on a busy roundabout.

Thanks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any 8 speed chain will do. KMC being my preference

OP
OP
S

stevie_b

Even an 8-speed Shimano HG chain? I've picked up a CN-HG40 cheap from Halfords, but I'll take it back if you don't think it'll be compatible. I'm happy to spend a bit more on the chain to get the best shifting that I can.

Torslanda

Regular
HG40 chain is as good as a KMC. Keep it clean, keep it lubed and don't try to fit it with a worn cassette as this accelerates chain wear.

Torslanda

Regular
As long as the cassette is an 8 speed (or 7 it's the same spacing) there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. Also your cassette is HG & your chain likewise. I wouldn't have any hesitation fitting them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom