New cassette + new chain but....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have a little problem with my bike after a new cassette and new chain. Sometimes, when I go over a stone or similar thing the chain jumps off gear completely and I have to shift up or down before it goes in gear again. I have changed cassettes and chains many many times but I never encounter this problem before.
I have been trying to remember the steps I took to cut the chain to length and I might have measured against the old chain and if that is the case then I cut it one length too short by not taking into account chain expansion on the old chain. Could that be the problem? I will try to measure the chain again tomorrow though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Cubist

Still wavin'
No, measured against your old chain the new chain if anything may be one link too long. If you are using a powerlink to join the chain that will add another extra link. Add a sloppy derailleur spring into the mix and that could well be your problem. Measure again using the "large cog to large cog and add a link" method is more reliable.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Thanks for that.

Today I measured the chain and it appears that you were right, one link too long.

I'm yet to go out and test it but I'm confident that was the problem.

Cheers

Top Bottom