New chain being throw of Jockey Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
HI,

Ive replaced the chain on my Subway 1. The new chain (shimano) is being throw off the bottom jockey wheel, and runs off the wheel. I cant see that anything is bent, and have cleaned the wheel and bushing. The new chain runs OK on the cassette and front chainring.

When I put the old chain (KMC) back on then it runs fine on the Jockey? Anyone seen this before? Jockeys dont seem to wear out (usually) and I cant see anything worn on the Jockey to cause a problem, or anything bent (which also seems to be discounted as it runs back on the old chain)

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_111145.jpg
    IMG_20200707_111145.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200707_111206.jpg
    IMG_20200707_111206.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200707_114551.jpg
    IMG_20200707_114551.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200707_114701.jpg
    IMG_20200707_114701.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 12

raleighnut

Legendary Member
HI,

Ive replaced the chain on my Subway 1. The new chain (shimano) is being throw off the bottom jockey wheel, and runs off the wheel. I cant see that anything is bent, and have cleaned the wheel and bushing. The new chain runs OK on the cassette and front chainring.

When I put the old chain (KMC) back on then it runs fine on the Jockey? Anyone seen this before? Jockeys dont seem to wear out (usually) and I cant see anything worn on the Jockey to cause a problem, or anything bent (which also seems to be discounted as it runs back on the old chain)
Are the chains the same length ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also check routing of the chain through the rear mech cage. A couple of photos and one from the rear of the bike of the rear mech at axel level.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can you explain the significance of this please?
If the chain is too long the mech won't be able to maintain sufficient tension leading to it bouncing off the bottom pulley when at extreme (Cross Chained) angles

D

Deleted member 26715

If the chain is too long the mech won't be able to maintain sufficient tension leading to it bouncing off the bottom pulley when at extreme (Cross Chained) angles
Agreed but this is not going to happen on an extra 1 or 2 links is it?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Agreed but this is not going to happen on an extra 1 or 2 links is it?
Well summats causing it,

If I go back and calculate (https://www.bergfreunde.eu/chain-length-calculator/) it suggests a chain length of 110 links (139cm), so doesnt seem to be chain length. Should this be compensated by the gear in any case, depending on the gear ratio.

Runs fine with smooth changing now I am back on the old chain.

I wouldn't use a calculator, wrap big/big not through the mech and add a pair of links is my method.

There isn't a tight/stiff link in the new chain is there?

Top Bottom