New Chain & Cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

croyde

fitted by the LBS is still very noisy even tho' the gear changes are fine yet when I tried out some new bikes at the Cycle Show today, they were all silent.

Am I expecting too much?:biggrin:

john59

Guru
How are the chainrings. The may have needed replacing.

John

I assume it is your rear derailleur that's noisy. You should be able to eliminate most noise by re-setting the high and low limits of the derailleur and fine tuning the cable tension. It can take a couple of goes to set it accurately but it's not a difficult job and requires only a 5mm allen key and a small phillips screwdriver. Luckily there are plenty of internet sources to give advice but the Bicycle Tutor one is as good as any.

Mr Pig

People keep talking about the high-low adjustments on the dérailleurs and I don't know why. If the limit screws were set correctly when the thing was installed it's unlikely you'll need to move them again. All you need to do is adjust the cable so that the chain sits straight on the gears.

Failing that the cassette is worn though it usually kicks rather than being noisy.

Could be a number of things. Step 1 as Mr Pig says is to check that the derailleur has been set correctly. Turn the bike upside down , turn the pedals slowly and watch how the chain settles on the sprockets.If the mech is not set up corrrectly the chain can slightly brush the sprockets either side before settling on the selected sprocket causing the noise that you are hearing.

Mr Pig said:
People keep talking about the high-low adjustments on the dérailleurs and I don't know why. If the limit screws were set correctly when the thing was installed it's unlikely you'll need to move them again. All you need to do is adjust the cable so that the chain sits straight on the gears.

Failing that the cassette is worn though it usually kicks rather than being noisy.

The OP said it was a new cassette so wear is counted out. No harm in re-checking the whole rear derailleur basic set-up as you can't be sure what the LBS may have tweaked. It's good experience to improve understanding of gear action too.

Mr Pig

All those limit screws do is stop the dérailleur going too far and dumping the chain off the gears. Once the chain is settled onto the highest and lowest gear, and all of the time on the other gears, the limit screws don't do anything!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A new chain on a worn chainring can cause a grumbling noise. It'll wear in after a while. A maladjusted derailleur will rattle. You may also get a reluctant change in one direction. From behind, eyes level with the cassette, you should be able to check that the top jockey wheel is exactly in line with the appropriate sprocket. Use the cable adjuster on the deraileur to move it in or out - quarter of a turn is probably sufficient.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Check the chain has been threaded through the jockey wheels and cage correctly, and is not riding on/outside the folded guide on the cage. (It has been known!)

Mr Pig

youngoldbloke said:
Check the chain has been threaded through the jockey wheels and cage correctly, and is not riding on/outside the folded guide on the cage. (It has been known!)

Oh good call. I've done that myself! Kinda thing you notice straight away though, like as soon as you turn the crank, because it's pretty un-subtle.

OP
OP
C

croyde

The Cycle Doctor was down at Richmond Park today, who gave it a check and pronounced it healthy and pointed out that the bikes I tried at the Cycle Show were not only hyper expensive with much better components but I was also on a super smooth track.

Top Bottom