New chain clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamzo7

Hi all...
I thought it would be a good to treat my bike to a new chain as its done over 2k km.

I have cut the chain to the same length as my old chain ect and also got the right speed chain.

All seemed fine on the bike stand after putting the new chain on shifting grate on both the chainrings and the full range of the cassette (no bad sounds ) problem is on riding I'm getting a clicking clunky noise when pedaling when I'm in the 26t chainring across the whole range of the cassette plus it get worse the harder I pedal, works fine in the 38 chainring and also works fine on both if I put the old chain back on.

I know it might seem as an obvious answer but to me my drive train seems to be in good condition

Any suggestions as to what this could be before I start buying new parts I would be grateful

Thanks jamzo7

Attachments

• 15709087945627074367405284803813.jpg
    15709087945627074367405284803813.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 15709088333116513486191597094428.jpg
    15709088333116513486191597094428.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 15709089054948006526550288390606.jpg
    15709089054948006526550288390606.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
The quick links sometimes click a bit, it’s just what they do. If it’s a pinned link, make sure there’s nothing sticking out.

OP
OP
J

Jamzo7

Thank for the reply.

It seems to do it every chain link on rotation not every now and then if that makes sense

OP
OP
J

Jamzo7

To be honest I have 2 new chains the first one was a kmc x10 the second one was the hg95 chain that Shimano reccomend for their XT group set they both do the same thing

Levo-Lon

Guru
Does the new chain shift perfectly, i know you say it does on the stand but if its a full susser a lot changes under load. Even a hardtail the chain runs differently under load,
front derailleur wise
Your photos of the chainwheels and cassette look ok i think though its hard to tell unless you compare with new.

I'd try a small adjustment of the barrel adjuster on the shifter as it maybe your new chain is slightly wider with no wear.

Try that

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
Thank for the reply.

It seems to do it every chain link on rotation not every now and then if that makes sense
Couldn't it be due to sprocket wear (being teeth tops shorter / bottoms wider) so that the new chain has more space so shifting up, hitting the other sides of the teeth edges, resulting in clicking noise?

OP
OP
J

Jamzo7

Does the new chain shift perfectly, i know you say it does on the stand but if its a full susser a lot changes under load. Even a hardtail the chain runs differently under load,
front derailleur wise
Your photos of the chainwheels and cassette look ok i think though its hard to tell unless you compare with new.

I'd try a small adjustment of the barrel adjuster on the shifter as it maybe your new chain is slightly wider with no wear.

Try that

Thanks for the reply meta lon

Finely worked out how to quote...

yeah it shift's ls fine under load in both 26 and 38 chainrings and also the full range of the cassette it's just in the 26 upfront I'm getting the tick what gets worse the more load I put down...

As for the chain, to be honest when I got the first chain(kmc x10) and it started clicking I thought I might have got a bad one at it being wider was the only thing what could think of that would cause the noise coming from the drive train but yeah same with the HG95 too..

Just gets me that it runs so good in the 38 chainring..

I'm starting to think it's some sort of alignment issue with the chain but have never crashed the bike ect but then again the old chain works fine

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thanks for the reply meta lon

Finely worked out how to quote...

yeah it shift's ls fine under load in both 26 and 38 chainrings and also the full range of the cassette it's just in the 26 upfront I'm getting the tick what gets worse the more load I put down...

As for the chain, to be honest when I got the first chain(kmc x10) and it started clicking I thought I might have got a bad one at it being wider was the only thing what could think of that would cause the noise coming from the drive train but yeah same with the HG95 too..

Just gets me that it runs so good in the 38 chainring..

I'm starting to think it's some sort of alignment issue with the chain but have never crashed the bike ect but then again the old chain works fine

May well be a bit of wear and the new chain is highlighted it.

Itmay stop in a few miles

Ajax Bay

Guru
Because the OP gets this click only on the small chainring, and because they get this on all the sprockets, I'd suggest this is not the chain, nor the FD cage horizontal adjustment, nor the LH crank fastening. And only under load (ie OK on the stand).
Check that the chainring bolt/nuts are all tight.
What is the frequency of the click and does it vary with choice of sprocket? Try the 26t-13t combo. Every turn of the cranks? Every two turns? More frequent? And in the 26t/32t combo?
I've just replaced my chain and, on two different new cassettes, I'm get slipping on the 13t sprocket (both cassettes - one 11-28, the other 12-27), and only that sprocket, on both middle and outer chainrings. At a loss to identify why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamzo7

Because the OP gets this click only on the small chainring, and because they get this on all the sprockets, I'd suggest this is not the chain, nor the FD cage horizontal adjustment, nor the LH crank fastening. And only under load (ie OK on the stand).
What is the frequency of the click and does it vary with choice of sprocket? Try the 26t-13t combo. Every turn of the cranks? Every two turns? More frequent? And in the 26t/32t combo?
I've just replaced my chain and, on two different new cassettes, I'm get slipping on the 13t sprocket (both cassettes - one 11-28, the other 12-27), and only that sprocket, on both middle and outer chainrings. At a loss to identify why.

The click is
[/QUOTE

It clicks all the way round on the pedal rotation with the 26 chainring in every sprocket on the back and seems the same in every gear on the cassette..

The bolts on the chain ring is 1 thing I have checked I'll have a look when I get back

Top Bottom