New chain is one link too short...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I am replacing the chain on my bike and I have mistakenly made the new chain one link too short (compared to the old chain).
If fitted as is, will the new chain be OK?
Will it mess up my gearing or anything like that?
Should I try to add one one more link?
Thanks

Pauluk

Do you mean a link as in 0.5"? or do you mean one inner and one outer (1"). I thought you could only attach an outer to an inner link so surely you would have to add 2. So if its just one link too short (0.5") I'd try it first on a stand then if that seemed ok I'd ride it round the block.
Having said that, I'd size the chain with the large large cog method. See what the chain looks like with that method as you fit it.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Do you mean a link as in 0.5"? or do you mean one inner and one outer (1"). I thought you could only attach an outer to an inner link so surely you would have to add 2. So if its just one link too short (0.5") I'd try it first on a stand then if that seemed ok I'd ride it round the block.
Having said that, I'd size the chain with the large large cog method. See what the chain looks like with that method as you fit it.
0.5 inch short. Both ends of the chain have inners - the 'powerlink' joins them together.
I've put it all back together again and it seems OK (but not ridden it yet nor gone through all the gears).
Maybe the rear deraillleur will just carry the extra tension of the shorter chain.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Join the chain together (if using a quicklink).
Select biggest chainring & smallest sprocket combo.
Jockey wheels should be roughly one above the other.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Join the chain together (if using a quicklink).
Select biggest chainring & smallest sprocket combo.
Jockey wheels should be roughly one above the other.
They are - more or less. Thank you.
IMG-20120930-00192.jpg

Top Bottom