New chain - new cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

Realise if i get a new cassette that the advice is a new chain, but does it follow the other way around.

Not bothered about wear on the old cassette ofcourse as i'm not losing anything, but am i likely to have slipping problems if I dont replace em both together?

ta in advance.

Mr Pig

It all depends on how worn your chain is. The best idea is to invest in a chain checker, like this Parks one, and then you can keep an eye on it.

chain_checker.jpg

Sometimes, if the cassette is not too badly worn, it'll cog slightly with the new chain but will settle down as they wear into each other. If it's worn to the point that it skips or jumps then you'll need to replace it.

Or alternatively just keep using the old chain! As the gears are worn anyway why not, provided they're still working ok.

OP
OP
C

Cromcruaich

Just incase anyone else comes across this on a search - the end of the story is that I did indeed need a new cassette as well to replace the old one.

Tried new chain - old cassette and was slipping all over the place. New chain and new cassette and all working perfectly.

Top Bottom