New chain slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin-java

Regular
Hi, I have a cannondale trail 6 (24 speed).

The old chain got twisted (probably made worse from when it was took off and on again), so I put on a new KMC X8 - 99 chain today, I just started riding it, and its slipping in smaller rear cogs.

I've only done 800 mile on it though since I had it at the beginning of March this year.

What can I do? do I need to replace the cassette? arghh
Also, its making slight clicking noises still, I think that might be part of the problem too.

wisdom

Guru
Try indexing the gears first it could be the reason for the clicking noise and slipping gears youtube is your friend.How old is the csssette?

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Try indexing the gears first it could be the reason for the clicking noise and slipping gears youtube is your friend.How old is the csssette?
The gear changes are fine, and the clicking is quite a light noise, so I don't think its the gear setup, and I rather not mess with them.
The cassette is same age as the bike, had it in early march.

I'll point out one thing I've learnt.. if you've riveted a chain together, sometimes the 2 links where they are joined can be stiff.
This will cause the chain to jump on the cassette (and can also cause the chain to catch on itself and jam on the front cogs, causing death)

But like I said, the chain is brand new, and it uses the 'missing link' type link (the 2 L shaped halves that lock into place when you pull them),
and it seems to move fluidly where that link is.

I've done about 800 miles on it, I wouldn't have thought that would cause wear, but I could be wrong, its probably only a cheap cassette, and I can't see any other reason.
I am in the low rear cogs quite a lot though (22nd-24th gear).

I was looking at this one.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pg850-8-speed-cassette/#tabAA it seems quite good value for what it is, its not like £100 or anything, so its not too much of a problem
replacing the cassette.

Let me know if any thoughts, thanks.

Tom B

Guru
Do you spend a lot of time in the smallest cogs most affected?

Is your chain the correct size/type - you say you got an 8 speed chain, was it in packaging or just handed to you off a shelf in a polybag?

As others have mentioned look for a stiff link.

Have a look at the cassette has your chain twisting adventures twisted any of the teeth even by a smidgin?

How well have you kept on top of chain and cassette cleaning & how stretched was your old chain?

You only need a bit of wear for a new chain not to mesh nicely I have destroyed chains and chocolate cassettes in 1000miles through not cleaning and heavy dirty negligent use

Last edited:

maxfox44

I had a similar experience the other week. My new chain was slipping under load in the highest two gears. I read all the doom and gloom about the worn cassette, chain length and type of chain etc. For me, all that was required was a lot of chain lube and manually twisting each link to free them all up. My first ride after that, the slipping was the odd time, so I repeated the twisting of the links and since then (200 miles) smooth as a baby's....

This doesn't always work, but you can try "bedding in" the new chain to the old cassette for a bit. It is quite likely that the sprockets you most use are worn, and the new chain slips over them. You may find that by using the unworn ones for a bit, the chain will wear to match the worn sprockets again. Not guaranteed, but I have known it work.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Do you spend a lot of time in the smallest cogs most affected?

Is your chain the correct size/type - you say you got an 8 speed chain, was it in packaging or just handed to you off a shelf in a polybag?

As others have mentioned look for a stiff link.

Have a look at the cassette has your chain twisting adventures twisted any of the teeth even by a smidgin?

How well have you kept on top of chain and cassette cleaning & how stretched was your old chain?

You only need a bit of wear for a new chain not to mesh nicely I have destroyed chains and chocolate cassettes in 1000miles through not cleaning and heavy dirty negligent use

Thanks for reply... The chain (from wiggle) was boxed and wrapped, and slightly oiled.
As I mentioned above, I had that stiff link problem on my other bike that I'm rebuilding, but this new chain feels nice and free on each link, especially the 'missing link', it moves freely.
I don't think any teeth are twisted, but I will double check, and I'll double check each link moves freely.
I have put lube on chain straight away as well.
I clean the chain and cassette quite often.
I don't think the old chain was really stretched, it just got twisted.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
This doesn't always work, but you can try "bedding in" the new chain to the old cassette for a bit. It is quite likely that the sprockets you most use are worn, and the new chain slips over them. You may find that by using the unworn ones for a bit, the chain will wear to match the worn sprockets again. Not guaranteed, but I have known it work.
I could do that, but it could take a while to bed in, and I like to "sprint" on the bike when I have the energy, and it doesn't feel good (or safe even) doing that with a slipping chain.

Last night I bought an SRAM PG850 8 Speed Cassette 11-32 (for £13.49 off wiggle), so hopefully that will solve the problem straight away.
I should have check for twisted teeth first really, but might as well use the new cassette and new chain if I have them now.

Okay, I have just looked at the teeth, and they look a bit wonky, not sure if thats normal.
Some seem to run in the centre of the links, but others to the sides, and some are on a slight angle, but others are flat (on the 2nd and 3rd smallest cogs).
I'm thinking possibly that the teeth are catching the edges of the chain and lifting it up, cause I don't really see how a chain can slip other wise if all the teeth run inside the links (unless the teeth were really worn down).

So I think the new SRAM cassette is worth putting on now, I think the old one was some kind of sunrace cassette, probably a cheap cassette.
I guess its worth using a good quality chain and cassette, as these parts are fundamental to riding a bike, although I guess you could say that about all the components.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Ok, put the new SRAM PG-850 8 Speed 11-32 on with the new KMC X8-99 and it feels fine, no more slipping.
Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom