New chain slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
I've just fitted a new shimano chain to my old MTB/commuter and it slips in certain gears. It's an XT/HG93 variant. The cassette is a Sram 8 speed, fairly old but not very worn as far as I can see. The old chain that came off was a Sram with a powerlink, well used without incident until it measured 12 1/8" on the 12 link test. The old chain didn't slip, even on the very worn chainwheel, now replaced.

Is this something that will bed in or will it only do so by wearing out my shiny new chain? Alternatively is it a mismatch between Sram and Shimano? If it's an indicator that the cassette is shot then I'm sorely tempted to refit the old Sram chain and run around on it until everything comprehensively wears out, it's only really a town bike after all.

Thanks in advance.

gavintc

Guru
It will bed in - but not in the way you want. Your cassette needs changing. If you changed the main ring and the chain, your cassette should have been changed at the same time.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Bugger, thought someone would say that. No matter, I have the solution, the Sram chain can go back on until it's all totally worn out, then I'll replace the lot. Set aside a year or so...:biggrin:

The "new" chainring came out of the bits box, it's steel and wasn't new in any case, so it can take its chances. My guess is that my chances of wearing it out are about the same as Kylie Minogue knocking at my door tonight.

So, slide the old chain back on tomorrow then.

Excuse me a minute, there's someone at the door.:biggrin:

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
It wasn't Kylie, it was just Natalie Imbruglia. Still, she did lend me an absolutely brilliant chain removal tool so I did well there.

rh100

battered said:
It wasn't Kylie, it was just Natalie Imbruglia. Still, she did lend me an absolutely brilliant chain removal tool so I did well there.

Be carefull, she's lent me stuff too....you wouldn't believe what it cost me in the long run :bicycle:

Top Bottom