New Chainset, terrible noise! (Video Included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Could you answer my question.
I know bent chain hangers are a particular favourite of yours, but surely that'll only cause issues with indexing at the rear, which the OP says he doesn't have.

@nulleth , I see the video is with the bike upside down. (Either that or my monitor is broken). Does it make as much noise when it's he right way up? Is the chain, which is a 9 speed HG93, compatible with the chainset? (there are several Synapse models out there, so I can't see what transmission you've got).

OP
OP
N

nulleth

I know bent chain hangers are a particular favourite of yours, but surely that'll only cause issues with indexing at the rear, which the OP says he doesn't have.

@nulleth , I see the video is with the bike upside down. (Either that or my monitor is broken). Does it make as much noise when it's he right way up? Is the chain, which is a 9 speed HG93, compatible with the chainset? (there are several Synapse models out there, so I can't see what transmission you've got).

Same when up the right way, and yep all compatible. It's now all 9-speed Sora.

Citius

New chainset? Just go and ride it for a couple of hours and see if it still makes the noise. It probably won't..

OP
OP
N

nulleth

So it is likely it is out of alignment and is the first place to start.
If I push the derailleur forward, backward and sideways, including twist it....but the noise is STILL there while doing that, you think it's the derailleur?

I purposefully push it out of alignment...nothing changes.
I don't follow the logic.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

Here is a better video.
After about 10 seconds you can hear the clicking.
It's rhythmic, and not the FD at all.

https://vid.me/5zyk

screenman

Legendary Member
If I push the derailleur forward, backward and sideways, including twist it....but the noise is STILL there while doing that, you think it's the derailleur?

I purposefully push it out of alignment...nothing changes.
I don't follow the logic.

The logic being, if it is not straight it is never going to be correct, it is always the first thing and decent mechanic would do before trying to adjust or index gears.

screenman

Legendary Member

Tim the rear mech alignment can cause other problems than just indexing, see my post a few back.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

Tim the rear mech alignment can cause other problems than just indexing, see my post a few back.

I'm quite competent at indexing bikes. I'm in my 30's and been doing them my entire life. It's NOT the rear derailleur indexing.
I know what the sounds like, I can replicate it on the bike by messing up the indexing. I can guarantee it's not indexing issues.

screenman

Legendary Member
Fine I will not spend any more of this evening trying to help then, by the way I can make that noise easily just lenthening the out gear cable a small amount.

If you are such an expert why come on here and ask for advice.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks for doing the pics

It all looks good to me. The only thing I would question without offending you would be the height of the derraileur. Looks a tad too high above the chainring to me. Not saying that's the reason but it's the only thing I can see

Top Bottom