New Chainset, terrible noise! (Video Included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

nulleth

Thanks for doing the pics

It all looks good to me. The only thing I would question without offending you would be the height of the derraileur. Looks a tad too high above the chainring to me. Not saying that's the reason but it's the only thing I can see

Yeah, it's too high, just from my latest round of moving it for testing.
Thanks for looking!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On one of those clunks the chainring is really hanging on to the chain at the bottom instead of releasing it properly. When it finally lets go there is an almighty clunk and the chain bounces about all over the place. Maybe that is a clue? :whistle:

It is like chainsuck used to be on my first MTB.

Are there any stiff links in the chain?

Last edited:

Citius

Like I said before - ride the bike for a couple of hours and then let us know if the noise is still there...

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
On one of those clunks the chainring is really hanging on to the chain at the bottom instead of releasing it properly. When it finally lets go there is an almighty clunk and the chain bounces about all over the place. Maybe that is a clue? :whistle:

It is like chainsuck used to be on my first MTB.

Are there any stiff links in the chain?

Yes, that sounds like good advice to me.

The sounds seems to come from the chainset..... I don't think it's cassette / chain noise.

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me it this was mentioned before... I suspect this a outer chainring problem so the question is... do you get a clean / smooth turning with the chain on the other chainring?

Last edited:

dddd

Regular
These posts seem to be homing in on the chain/chainring meshing, so I have to ask if the chain had significant break-in miles already while the chainset did not?

Citius mentioned breaking-in of the parts together for some significant mileage, and without seeing this bike in the flesh I think that might be the best advice at this point.

How many miles are now on this chain and chainset together?

And I recall many years ago having a cheaper Shimano MTB crankset which was not all that smooth when everything was new. The rings were stamped with all of the chain-lift features and the result was rough running. I guess that some are worse than others.

The videos are useful here.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

These posts seem to be homing in on the chain/chainring meshing, so I have to ask if the chain had significant break-in miles already while the chainset did not?

Citius mentioned breaking-in of the parts together for some significant mileage, and without seeing this bike in the flesh I think that might be the best advice at this point.

How many miles are now on this chain and chainset together?

And I recall many years ago having a cheaper Shimano MTB crankset which was not all that smooth when everything was new. The rings were stamped with all of the chain-lift features and the result was rough running. I guess that some are worse than others.

The videos are useful here.

Thank you,
Less than 10 miles on both the chain and chainset.

OP
OP
N

nulleth

Yes, that sounds like good advice to me.

The sounds seems to come from the chainset..... I don't think it's cassette / chain noise.

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me it this was mentioned before... I suspect this a outer chainring problem so the question is... do you get a clean / smooth turning with the chain on the other chainring?

Thanks,
Same problem on the inner chainring, but less pronounced.

Citius

Third time I've suggested this - get out on the bike for a couple of two-hour (or more) rides. See if the noise is still there. It is literally the only thing you haven't actually tried yet.

Top Bottom