England : Greater Manchester New Club. North Manchester.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
I thought it was a reasonable pace. It's the pace of a CTC B ride. Of which I have done many. It's two hours for a 25 mile ride including a short break. Not a hard and fast rule. Just an indication. Its hard to organise these this to suit all. You can let the racing snake buzz off into the distance. But if somebody is very slow it will frustrate others. Hence the short local circular run to let you make a decision.

Domus

Guru
Hope you get a good turnout tomorrow but as the weather forecast is dire, don't be disheartened. If nothing else you might just have found a new mate or two.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
The nearest group is in South Manchester. Quite a trip away.
I've ridden with them a lot. A and B rides. The Bs can whack on a bit. But then they stop and wait for the slower riders at every turn. It can get a bit frustrating at times if you are at an average pace. Lovely people though and a well organised and supported club.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
How did it go?
Didn't. I cancelled the ride due to the forecast last night. Nobody expressed any interest anyway. Probably cancel tomorrow as well. Weather is not helping. But lack of interest is disheartening. I'll do a local run in the week if the weather clears. I've put details on five forums but this is the only one that commented.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Daft, but genuine, question: what does your new club offer that others don't in your area?

I'm asking because this sub-forum has Wrigley Velo with two threads who meet in Failsworth and seem similar.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Daft, but genuine, question: what does your new club offer that others don't in your area?

I'm asking because this sub-forum has Wrigley Velo with two threads who meet in Failsworth and seem similar.
Well for one. I'm not in or particularly near Failsworth. My local area does not have a local club that suits me. The nearest seem to go looking for awesome hills and fast times. 100 mile rides, TTs, insist on wearing helmets and some are terribly badly organised.
I get the impression [maybe wrongly] that Wrigley may be leaning a bit more to the sporting side than the touring side of things. Prestwich did have a well supported cycling club many years ago and it would be nice to revive that in some way. I also would like to get out into the Cheshire lanes, Ribble Valley and Southport way but keep within my 60 mile limit. I've done a lot of 100 mile+ club rides and find the last few miles boring. Just turning pedals and knackered the next day.
I'm beginning to think that Facebook is not the best platform for the club as many cyclists of a particular age group don't tend to spend much time on Social Media or maybe indeed the Internet. I'll have to get my thinking cap on about other ways to reach out to them. Thanks for the question.

Last edited:

nickAKA

Über Member
Didn't. I cancelled the ride due to the forecast last night. Nobody expressed any interest anyway. Probably cancel tomorrow as well. Weather is not helping. But lack of interest is disheartening. I'll do a local run in the week if the weather clears. I've put details on five forums but this is the only one that commented.

Happened across this looking for something else but thought I'd add a virtual shoulder to the wheel - don't give up, keep the faith, it'll take time, you're doing a good thing.
I'm probably 8/9 miles away from you so it's probably not for me, but as you say facebook isn't necessarily the best place to find cyclists of a similar mind - but then again where is? Obvious answer is your local cycling club... Could infiltrate & form a splinter group of disgruntled veterans? :okay:
I'm quite fortunate in that there are half a dozen blokes local who ride regularly and we're not poles apart fitness-wise, plus we all have kids around the same age in the same school so we're in regular contact anyway.
There's quite a strong community up near us so I plan to do something similar to you, but as there's already a 'core group' it should be simpler to swell the numbers... time will tell!

Top Bottom