New Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I finally taking the plunge and going to ride to the station rather than taking the car. Then the bike on the train and a gentle roll from St Pancras to St Paul's at the other end, on my bike rather than the usual Boris Bike. The ride to the station is only 10 miles so no big deal and the roads will be pretty quite when I leave at 6am.

East Midlands Trains seem quite accommodating when it comes to taking bikes on the train - phone them up and they provide a reservation number. Hopefully there will be space when the train gets to Welly station.

Not looking forward to the ride back as it will be dark, but it should be a lovely ride once the clocks change.

Just need to decide what to wear, don't think I need to go full lycra for a relatively short ride so will probably settle on some type of compromise.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sounds good!
My commute is localish, at 12.5 miles. I leave a change of boots/shoes in my locker, and commute in my work clothes, but with waterproofs in my seat post bag as well, just in case. I don't bother with padded shorts, or lycra, for a short distance, and wear cycle clips to keep the trousers away from moving parts.

icowden

Veteran
IMHO it's worth wearing clothing that will dry easily for the inevitable downpour. I use Endura Hummvees as their comfy and quick to change (and dry really easily when in rain. Like Pete I keep my shoes and trousers at work and have waterproofs in my bag for massive downpours. If the train gets less accomodating you can always get a folder...

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for the advice, I think I will need to stock up on some new kit - any excuse ! I have a locker at work with my work clothes so I don't need to wear them on the commute. When I was on the Boris Bike it was a 10 minute ride so it did not matter - any old top and trousers did the trick. The ride to the station will be around 40 mins, so something a bit more appropriate will be required. I'm presently rummaging through old rugby training kit to find suitable items.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It can all depend on what you need to wear once you're there. I'm 'lucky' as I only have workwear, not smart stuff, shirt, tie etc.

As for padding, no need to suffer, just anoint the region with horse linement, or methylated spirits for a week or so. It'll soon be toughened up :laugh:

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Unless like me, your cojones require a little padding...
:okay:
Went for a combo of padded cycling shorts with a pair of rugby shorts over the top so I would not be too self conscious on the train, seemed to do the trick.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Do the train company actually let bikes travel during rush hour?
Yes, they are actually pretty good. There is storage space for 2 bikes per train, which you can book in advance. It's fortunate that East Midlands run proper trains with suitable bike storage rather than commuter specials, The line from Northampton don't allow trains in the rush hour.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yes, they are actually pretty good. There is storage space for 2 bikes per train, which you can book in advance. It's fortunate that East Midlands run proper trains with suitable bike storage rather than commuter specials, The line from Northampton don't allow trains in the rush hour.

It will be interesting to know what they do when your turn up and the spaces are being used already. It could be even worse on the way home. Personally I would be leaving my bike in WellyB

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Personally I would be leaving my bike in WellyB
You have not spent much time in Welly then !!
Its a fair point - the reservation system should work as long as every plays the game. I understand that the train manager has some discretion over how many bikes are allowed on the train. In reality there is room for a a lot more than 2 bikes in the bike storage area.
I'll find out as we go into the Spring and a few more bike commuters start to use the train.

Top Bottom