New commuter and a thing to show it off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been procrastinating about this for ages, so I finally went out and bought myself a road bike. It's a shiny and new (walked it home, so it hasn't been ridden yet) Giant Avail 2, and I don't want it to ever get wet :-)

Pictured here with my workhorse Mezzo D9, which has done about 12,000km in the last 18 months, including London->Brighton 2 3/4 times, London->Whitstable and the Dunwich Dynamo once each, and innumerable commutes. She's going to appreciate the rest.

The both standing on my newly acquired rack which I think is going to stop my partner demanding either of them live in the shed.

I'm going to have to leave very early on Monday: I'm still going to be learning the handling, so no traffic, please.

(edit: forgot the picture!)

IMG_7177 (2).png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fantastic! Congratulations on your new baby :wub:
That stand good, then? I was thinking about getting the same, was not sure if a less pricey one would do the job.

Thanks for the feed back
Fantastic! Congratulations on your new baby :wub:
That stand good, then? I was thinking about getting the same, was not sure if a less pricey one would do the job.

I was very disappointed when I read the instructions, and it says something about "attach to the wall with suitable fixings" I was about to send it back, when I realised I didn't have an alternative, so decided to try it anyway. I applied two floor protection disks to the parts that touch the wall, and gravity + friction seem to be doing a good job.

It's pretty adjustable and I'm happy with it.

What have you seen that's cheaper than £20 delivered?

Best leave it there permanently then if you don't want it getting wet :thumbsup:

Yes, I know. Or move somewhere they have summer.

Nice!!
Just need to commuterize it, rack,mudgaurds and lights :smile:
It's already got mudguards, my moon xp500, a little rear led hanging from the saddle in the picture. I've just moved the Carradice SQR from the folder to the giant, so ready for monday.
Please, take the posters away.
You need to be able to see that beauty in all it's glory.

Nice one

The posters are protecting the walls from tyre scuffs: they are staying.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What have you seen that's cheaper than £20 delivered?
Sorry, wrong wording: I meant was not sure if something so cheap was going to serve the purpose.
Thanks for clarifying, will get it now. It's my mortgage, I'll drill if I want to ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the feed back

It's already got mudguards, my moon xp500, a little rear led hanging from the saddle in the picture. I've just moved the Carradice SQR from the folder to the giant, so ready for monday.
Oh yeah , i will go to the opticians asap :smile:

update: the avail is now 236km old, has been wet several times (damn you, London summer) but no other insult on it, yet. The first few days were intense and slow. Interesting new muscles being found in my arms and hands, and oddly in my legs too. That's mostly settled down, though my hands are still quite achy from riding the brakes. Those 200km are mostly cross London commuting, so I'm almost always poised for an emergency stop, and that's a completely different hand position to flat bars. I was getting some blisters, but it that was down to my gloves.

I was disappointed that it didn't increase my speed at first, but by Friday I realised that my commute has gone from ~90 minutes elapsed to ~70, which isn't bad, though my moving average is still pretty slow. The bike isn't faster, per se: ie when I cruise at an easy pace on either, I'm going about the same speed, but the road bike allows and encourages me to put more wellie on. I expect I'll be faster when I get back on the folder.

The stand is great. Very stable. i've tried to pull it away from the wall deliberately and it doesn't really move. I can move the road bike so that the pedals will rotate fully, and then use it to oil the chain. When I get home, take the Barley Bag off the bike, rack the bike and then hang the bag from one of the hooks. I can access the content from there, so my stuff is really quite well contained.

Hmmm, I think the folder could sit behind the stand with the back wheel tucked under, leaving a place on the stand for N+1 :whistle:

trio25

Über Member
Lovely! I have been doing some rearranging at home and my folks bought us a couple of similar stands, I haven't attached them to the wall either and they seem really sturdy! Now do we get a picture with the carradice attached, I have just bought one and I love it!

Top Bottom