New Commuter Hub in Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

WeeE hit upon an important consideration, public transport in Glasgow is generally cheap and reasonably well placed.
I have access to showers and good parking for my bike at work, but the HUB sounds good for weekend shopping trips. Only problem is I can get a return on the train for about £3 ;)

alp1950

Nice idea & I hope it works for you. However as you yourself point out, you will need several income streams to make this viable. You've covered the obvious with a cafe & shop. Presumably a workshop as well. How about a clean & service, along the lines of the car valeting services that seem to be everywhere at the moment?

Are there enough commuters around (?central) Glasgow to use this service. I fear not, at least not enough within easy walking distance of the hub. After all, you're not going want to use the hub if you need to walk more than a mile to work, or even get the underground.... unless you can make this a really special place....

....this might be a non-starter, but perhaps the time is right to develop a modern cycling centre, a facility that amongst other roles would act as a commuter hub, as well as take on the functions of a traditional bike club, albeit on a more professional footing perhaps with a resident pro/fitness trainers/physios etc. Such a centre, ideally in an attractive modern building, perhaps along the lines of a city centre gym, complete with shop, bar, restaurant, might have the hub as the core facility, but it could be much more than this. This might work as a stand-alone facility, but might be more economically viable to house it within one of the big commercial gyms eg a David Lloyd or Esporta.

Top Bottom