new commuter rucksack, any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rack and panniers ;)

Deuter are good otherwise, but won't be much cheaper. Tried Decathlon?

OP
OP
damj

damj

I use panniers during winter months, but I'd rather just go for the backpack, much less hassle, during spring summer months. I don't carry heavy loads at this time of year. Thanks I'll look at decathlon.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why is a rack and panniers hassle? My bag just slides off to carry

I'd say sweaty back worse.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Under armour do decent rucksacks. The cost depends on the size, but they cost around £25 to £30 pounds from Amazon and if you have prime, you might get free postage on certain bags. They also have other unbranded rucksacks that looK ok as well.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As has been said, Deuter are good (I've got one) if not the cheapest.
Having said that, the one I had before that was a no-name brand that I got from Amazon for about £15 and it did me for two years until I tore the fabric by forcing too much into it...

OP
OP
damj

damj

Why is a rack and panniers hassle? My bag just slides off to carry

I'd say sweaty back worse.

Again bought cheap, saddle style with loads of awkward straps. When my new bike arrives I'll probably have to invest in new panniers, but for now just after a rucksack. Cheers

ozboz

Guru
If you have an Army surplus store near you try why not have a look t there ? ,I got a NATO backpack for £20 , tough , waterproof , light , all zips high quality , full adjustable to any oerson and most important , it is exremley comfortable , I can ride all day and not even know its on my back ,

May be worth looking in aldi. To see if they have any leftovers. If you don't need a suspension system, some of their bags are quite decent. Got a nice one recently - if branded it would have been 2 times as much.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I can pretty much guarantee I'm bigger than all the previous posters, and hence I have a greater propensity to overheat due to a reduced surface area/volume ratio, and never suffered unduly with a sweaty back. Cyclist X suffering a sweaty back is no indicator that cyclist Y will, so don't worry about the problems other people suffer if you've been doing it for years with success.

I used to used a relatively modest Regatta rucksack for commuting. Reasonably well made, lasted nearly a decade still looking tidy, comfy and cheap. Waterproofing duties were carried out by a waterproof hi vis cover, which was a great success. Similar packs are about £20-£25, then covers a fiver.

Of the waterproof packs I've used over the years for cycling and SAR have all lost their waterproof qualities long before they started to look too worn, or bits started dropping off them.

Last edited:
Lots of bags have a built in waterproof cover of course that folds out of the bottom. Fine for all but the longest heavy downpours. I don't think the bag itself needs to be 100 per cent waterproof, maybe only if you are carrying expensive delicate electronics.

Top Bottom