new commuter rucksack, any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

download.jpg

I have found Berghaus Freeflow rucksacks brilliant. I've been using one for years, despite all the abuse it's only just suffered a broken pocket zip.
The freeflow system is the best I've used for preventing sweaty back problem.
Comes with rain cover and can take a hydration bladder. 25L above for about £30.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Deuter race x is a 10l sack with air stream back ( a little better for sweaty back) and a rain cover that is bright orange. Its a great commuter bag.

If you need to carry more, I also have the 28l version that they don't seem to do anymore. Has a frame back that is super cool, the nearest I can see in their range now is the transalpine.

Generally though, my big deuter is nearly 10 years old and looks totally brand new, has been all over the place, chucked about, washed, filthy mud, rain , salt...very well built.

As a general comment though, I cant keep shirts uncreased in a ruck sack...despite all manner of folding, rolling, placing in tubes etc. The inly bag I have that allows me to wear a shirt that I carry is my crumpler dinky messenger bag. But that isn't what I would call waterproof

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've never known one to leak either.
View attachment 352652
I have found Berghaus Freeflow rucksacks brilliant. I've been using one for years, despite all the abuse it's only just suffered a broken pocket zip.
The freeflow system is the best I've used for preventing sweaty back problem.
Comes with rain cover and can take a hydration bladder. 25L above for about £30.

I've never known one to leak either.

I did a longish ride in really poor conditions with my covered rucksack. My stuff was mostly dry but the bottom pocket (no mudguards) was soaked along with the very top pocket where the rain had gone down my back and into it. The main pockets were bone dry.

It was sheeting down for about 80 miles and we only spent about an hour of that under cover.

All in all a pretty good outcome, all my stuff is in plastic bags inside each pocket just in case. Ziplock freezer bags are my weapon of choice.

Edit......oops it seems that the leaky 28l Deuter I have is actually a vaude. My race x is definitely a deuter though

Last edited:

zaza123

I bought an Oxford Aqua V20. No nonsense, single compartment, roll top, welded seams, very reflective detail. Don't regret it at all. I think they are designed for motorcycle use but it's not heavy and holds plenty if you need. It was reduced to 32 quid at Sportsbikeshop.

Top Bottom