New Commuter With No Money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MahatmaAndhi

Hi all,

I've recently changed jobs to one which is much closer at 4 miles instead of 20m each way. As such, I've decided to cycle to work and have done twice so far. However, I'm struggling a bit with the luggage.
My work does "Agile Working" (hot desking) so I carry everything with me each day and can't leave anything at work.

"Everything" includes:
Chromebook and power supply
Lunchbox
Keys
Phone (soon to be two)
Lock (Kryptonite Keeper D-Lock)
Jumper and/or jacket
Nic-nacs such as house keys, vaping stuff etc.

I look like a tortoise and would likely get outpaced by one as soon as I hit a head wind.

I have fitted a rack to my Specialized Globe (2010ish) and have a small pack that fits the lock and lunchbox. But it's still too much. By the time I get to work, I'm sweating quite a bit.

There are no showers at work and so I'm cycling in my shirt and trousers.

Any ideas to A) take the load off of my back and B) be less sweaty when I arrive?

Any help appreciated! I'm enjoying the ride itself, but not the sweaty mess that I become afterwards.

Slick

Guru
I was going to suggest better panniers, as carrying what you list is similar to myself and should be fairly simple to transport on a bike.

If your short of cash, I would become creative when it comes to "Planking" some kit at work, including a shirt I could change into although how sweaty could you really get after 4 miles?

vickster

Legendary Member
Wear a sports top that you can then change out of when you get to work

Take a flannel for a quick wash before you change into your work shirt

Get panniers of course, then you won't have to carry anything on your back. Cheap ones won't be waterproof so wrap everything in a couple of plastic bags. If riding slowly unless it's all up hill, you shouldn't get too sweaty in 4 miles (20 mins?)

Maybe post in wanted, someone might have some old panniers that they don't use that they might pass on for a few quid to cover costs

If you have no money, quitting vaping would save you a bundle ;) Better for your lungs too :smile:

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can you leave your D-lock at work, either locked to the rack or railing where you normally lock your bike, or locked to something solid in an inconspicuous spot nearby? That would save a good chunk of weight.

Also might be worth asking HR if they could arrange a few lockers for the people that cycle? If you explain that you are not asking for full blown changing rooms and showers (you can work on that later :okay:) they might be able to provide some small lockable cabinets for you to store a few personal belongings in. They probably won't want you storing the laptop there?

stalagmike

Enormous member
Can you leave your D-lock at work, either locked to the rack or railing where you normally lock your bike, or locked to something solid in an inconspicuous spot nearby? That would save a good chunk of weight.

Also might be worth asking HR if they could arrange a few lockers for the people that cycle? If you explain that you are not asking for full blown changing rooms and showers (you can work on that later :okay:) they might be able to provide some small lockable cabinets for you to store a few personal belongings in. They probably won't want you storing the laptop there?

GAH! Beat me to it!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need panniers and a rack. If you're on a budget look on ebay or Gumtree. Try to find some that are waterproof if you can. I reckon you could get out for around thirty to forty quid.
As suggested somebody on here will probably have some.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

I appreciate the advice, and the offers. I fitted a rack myself. I got it for a tenner off Facebook.
Leaving the lock at work is definitely the first thing I'll do. Though that means I will have to get another for when I am doing non-commuting riding. A story for another day.
I may investigate the locker option. I have to drive one day a week when I take the kids to school, so with a locker I could use that day to stock up on clean shirts.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My work does "Agile Working" (hot desking) so I carry everything with me each day and can't leave anything at work..

So let's get this right; you work at the same location every day and yet your employer expects you to carry all their crap back and forth and provide storage for it overnight at your house and at your expense? And in return for this they provide you with no proper washing and storage facilities for the stuff you need to come to work with?
I'd tell them to shove their job where the sun don't shine and go and work for someone who treats their employees in a proper manner!

vickster

Legendary Member
And somewhere for agile workers to keep stuff I would expect. I have a locker for mine, including laptop.

Are you a temp or permanent member of staff?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom