New commuters... 13miles one way.. need advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Give it a go and see how you get on. Plenty of newbies out there now and it seems to me far more at this time of year than last year. I was contemplating it this morning, sat at a set of lights when it was quite cold. Usually the turn in weather has convinced many to discard the bikes by this stage but the latest batch are made of sterner stuff!

Have you considered your route? Presumably some CS7 and cut across towards Vauxhall or maybe Westminster / Waterloo before venturing north?

MichaelO

Veteran
I come through Carshalton on my commute from Redhill/Reigate to Chelsea/Victoria side of London. Fortunately, you’re just the right side of the North Downs, so it will be relatively flat ride in.
FWIW, I started commuting the 20 miles each way last August, and immediately switched from my old hybrid to a drop bar road bike. I read lots of views that this would have to take mudguards & panniers, given the distance, but I opted for the bike I wanted (which takes neither!). I’ve had zero problem with a light rucksack (only need to take in undies & shirt for the day – rest stays at work) – this makes a big difference.
I’m glad I started towards the end of the summer – I actually cycled more during the winter months than some of the summer ones this year.
And I started off with the intention of doing the 40mile round trip 5 times a week – but a mixture of work, social arrangements & kids/family mean I usually end up doing it 3 times a week.
8 miles on a Boris Bike must be the equivalent effort as at least 15 on a road bike!!

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

Thanks everyone for such overwhelming replies. Definitely boosted my confidence and I am gonna do this.
Route: not sure yet.. still digging, probably sutton to morden to colliers wood and cs7 .. I need to do few test ride during weekend.
Bike: no, I dont have bike yet. And no freaking idea what i will be buying. Budget us around £700. Thanks for all ur suggestions, but still confused. Went to evans cycle. Just did browsing.
Bagpack: I carry a light rucksack. Got packed lunch and a rain jacket.

I need to start this quickly before extreme winter hits.
Sent on the go.. please excuse any typo

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

It sounds like you're getting the tube/train/bus to a Boris bike stand then commuting the rest of the way.

It also sounds like you already have a bike.

13 miles in London will be relatively easy - flat, stop start (so you can have a rest) and plenty of other cyclists to "protect" yourself.

However, don't start off by doing 13 miles each way every day. Perhaps mix it up with your current regime, so perhaps 2 days @ 13 miles and 3 @ 8 miles. Once you feel more comfortable then increase the days @ 13 miles.

Also, if you can, do a test ride on a non work day. You can then suss out the ride in your own time without the pressure of being late ets.

Carry a spare tube and tyre levers at the very least and learn to change a tube.

Starting in winter will arguably make you more resilient.

Good luck and adviCe, not adviSe (sorry, bugs me that one).:smile:
Yes thats true, I mix boris bike with train ride.
I am going to try on weekend first and then on normal day. Thanks for adviCe :-)

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

I come through Carshalton on my commute from Redhill/Reigate to Chelsea/Victoria side of London. Fortunately, you’re just the right side of the North Downs, so it will be relatively flat ride in.
FWIW, I started commuting the 20 miles each way last August, and immediately switched from my old hybrid to a drop bar road bike. I read lots of views that this would have to take mudguards & panniers, given the distance, but I opted for the bike I wanted (which takes neither!). I’ve had zero problem with a light rucksack (only need to take in undies & shirt for the day – rest stays at work) – this makes a big difference.
I’m glad I started towards the end of the summer – I actually cycled more during the winter months than some of the summer ones this year.
And I started off with the intention of doing the 40mile round trip 5 times a week – but a mixture of work, social arrangements & kids/family mean I usually end up doing it 3 times a week.
8 miles on a Boris Bike must be the equivalent effort as at least 15 on a road bike!!
Great... yes I need to dig the route.
True, boris bike is too heavy.you paddle even downhill as well

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

there are plenty of riders that do that mileage and more and there are far better bikes to be commuting a distance on. The cconventional wisdom you'll get a lot of in this thread is no doubt 'for that you need a road bike (drop bars - racer type) and I'd generally agree, some people ride long distances on hybrid (barclay type but not as heavy) and I have both drop and hybrid types and happily use both whatever the weather but on windy days particularly you really do notice the positive difference being more crouched down on a drop bar bike makes - that said a lot of the time on a drop bar bike, people tend to ride with their hands on the tops of the bars or 'on the hoods' = hands wrapped around the top of the brakes

There are options within this drop bar category depending on what you intend to carry in the way of workwear, packed lunch etc and as you suggest riding through the winter will require a bike that can take a decent set of mudguards - for 13 miles each way you'll most likely be more comfortable with a rear rack and some panniers on the bike than a rucksack on you.

Be sure you consider things like this when test riding bikes and deciding what one you need.

It may be a full on road bike with a longer saddle to bars distance, very skinny hard tyres (less comfortable on bad roads & less ability to take it off tarmac) and gearing designed to go very fast on the flat but not as well up hills suits you. These do have options to winterise them and carry luggage but often at a higher cost.

A cyclocross bike may give you better options and be a more forgiving ride in terms of less crouched position, wider softer tyres whilst you are still getting into such distances - but still let you be fast and aerodynamic when you need to

You could also consider flat bar road bikes if you are worried about comfort, not bothered about battling through a windy day or have a neck/back problem that would make drop bars and aggressive bike geometry a painful problem.

There are people that would tell you the one true general purpose bike is a mountain bike and you could easily do 13 miles on a nice lightweight one with a set of smooth tyres fitted and that if you wake up and 6 inches of snow has fallen overnight you could just change to knobbly tyres and ride just as happily - again an option to think about depending on what else you might use the bike for at the weekends.

As for riding the winter - up to you, dress for the weather and there is no reason at all why you shouldn't do it, thin layers of clothes to keep you warm without getting bulky and sweaty are good. waterproof coats usually aren't very good at wicking sweat away inside and build up too much heat around your body unless you pay a lot of money and they still aren't great at everything. My preference for wearing 'cycling' gear is softshells to keep me warm and which are showerproof with a thin packaway waterproof jacket for the rare occasions when it does rain heavily.

Good quality socks & gloves to keep your fingertips and toes warm out on the ride will make your life far nicer when you've arrived and been in the warm for a few minutes or if you need to be doing shirt buttons up.

A buff to keep the chill off you face and ears is an essential piece of kit - they don't need to be super expensive, 3 for £10 in TK-Maxx rather that 1 for £15 in a mountain shop work, most of mine have been free ones given away in cycling magazines.

Wow... I haven't expected such a detailed dig. Thanks.
I think I am considering drop bars. Will go to shops this weekend. Is there a way to test ride before buying.

Ace Ventura

The others in here have given you good advice re: equipment/fitness. As I commute Sutton-Embankment I thought I'd give you some advice on routes.

I find morden-colliers wood can be very sticky so I usually plump for going rose hill-Mitcham-figgs marsh and then joining the Cs7.

Coming home is always tougher because you have a lump to get over whether it be St Hellier Ave to Rosehill or up to Bishopsford Rd from Mitcham. Just take it easy, and you'll find it a doddle in spring.

Drivers on this route are forgiving because they see so many of us, so hope that encourages you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow... I haven't expected such a detailed dig. Thanks.
I think I am considering drop bars. Will go to shops this weekend. Is there a way to test ride before buying.
Ask the shop. Pearsons are very good in Sutton, Musa on here works in the pro shop, have a chat but it does depend on budget. They have Specialized and Trek flatbars too, like the Sirrus. Evans in Wimbledon have a massive range and for a penny on your debit card and your driving licence/photo ID, they'll happily let you test ride anything they have in the shop with no obligation

There are a few other decnt shops around here, like Fudges in Epsom (Cannondale, Spesh), Brights at Raynes Park (Giant), Action Bikes in Wimbledon (Trek mainly), Wheel Power (I think) in Worcester Park (Willier/Marin). For £700 (don't forget the very chunky locks if leaving exposed in Soho), all should be able to sell you something!

There's Halfords in Sutton with a decent range including Boardmans but I'd want Pearsons to check any purchase over!

I do spend way too much time pottering around bike shops :whistle:

markharry66

Über Member
why spend that much to start with. I personally would get a triban if you can still get a red one £300.
Lightweight, will pay for itself in a few months. Over winter if you get salt in the bike from the road it wont matter as much at that price.

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

[QUOTE 2740549, member: 1314"]You'll be fine on whatever bike. I recommend a Sirrus Specialized for a beginner, though. I do Surbiton to EC1 both ways, and sometimes go through Sutton for a change. You want a partner cycling in a couple of times just give me a shout.[/quote]
Sure. Once I get going..will give a shout.

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

The others in here have given you good advice re: equipment/fitness. As I commute Sutton-Embankment I thought I'd give you some advice on routes.

I find morden-colliers wood can be very sticky so I usually plump for going rose hill-Mitcham-figgs marsh and then joining the Cs7.

Coming home is always tougher because you have a lump to get over whether it be St Hellier Ave to Rosehill or up to Bishopsford Rd from Mitcham. Just take it easy, and you'll find it a doddle in spring.

Drivers on this route are forgiving because they see so many of us, so hope that encourages you.
Sure, I will do couple rides during weekend. Its always nice to see local giving route digging

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

why spend that much to start with. I personally would get a triban if you can still get a red one £300.
Lightweight, will pay for itself in a few months. Over winter if you get salt in the bike from the road it wont matter as much at that price.
////This is one time budget and i wouldnt be able to spend again in next couple of years.

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

[QUOTE 2741803, member: 1314"]If you can afford it, spend as much as you can. Nobody I know who has ridden a Sirrus has complained about using it as an entry-level commuter. They're between £450-£700 quid. I had a second hand one myself for a couple of years. Of course I now ride nothing other than a steel fixed through the mean streets.

One more thing - the road surfaces between Sutton and, say, zone 4 are actually very decent. Wimbledon South roads have also, at last, been done up.[/quote]
I am looking at http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z85-2013-road-bike-ec046333 this. what do you say

Top Bottom