New commuters... 13miles one way.. need advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tariq

tariq

I say it's overkill for your initial needs and only one size in stock...
Whatever i buy would stick with for atleast next 4-5 years. i wouldnt be buying any other. so its not just initial need but long one. :-)

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

there are plenty of riders that do that mileage and more and there are far better bikes to be commuting a distance on. The cconventional wisdom you'll get a lot of in this thread is no doubt 'for that you need a road bike (drop bars - racer type) and I'd generally agree, some people ride long distances on hybrid (barclay type but not as heavy) and I have both drop and hybrid types and happily use both whatever the weather but on windy days particularly you really do notice the positive difference being more crouched down on a drop bar bike makes - that said a lot of the time on a drop bar bike, people tend to ride with their hands on the tops of the bars or 'on the hoods' = hands wrapped around the top of the brakes

There are options within this drop bar category depending on what you intend to carry in the way of workwear, packed lunch etc and as you suggest riding through the winter will require a bike that can take a decent set of mudguards - for 13 miles each way you'll most likely be more comfortable with a rear rack and some panniers on the bike than a rucksack on you.

Be sure you consider things like this when test riding bikes and deciding what one you need.

It may be a full on road bike with a longer saddle to bars distance, very skinny hard tyres (less comfortable on bad roads & less ability to take it off tarmac) and gearing designed to go very fast on the flat but not as well up hills suits you. These do have options to winterise them and carry luggage but often at a higher cost.

A cyclocross bike may give you better options and be a more forgiving ride in terms of less crouched position, wider softer tyres whilst you are still getting into such distances - but still let you be fast and aerodynamic when you need to

You could also consider flat bar road bikes if you are worried about comfort, not bothered about battling through a windy day or have a neck/back problem that would make drop bars and aggressive bike geometry a painful problem.

There are people that would tell you the one true general purpose bike is a mountain bike and you could easily do 13 miles on a nice lightweight one with a set of smooth tyres fitted and that if you wake up and 6 inches of snow has fallen overnight you could just change to knobbly tyres and ride just as happily - again an option to think about depending on what else you might use the bike for at the weekends.

As for riding the winter - up to you, dress for the weather and there is no reason at all why you shouldn't do it, thin layers of clothes to keep you warm without getting bulky and sweaty are good. waterproof coats usually aren't very good at wicking sweat away inside and build up too much heat around your body unless you pay a lot of money and they still aren't great at everything. My preference for wearing 'cycling' gear is softshells to keep me warm and which are showerproof with a thin packaway waterproof jacket for the rare occasions when it does rain heavily.

Good quality socks & gloves to keep your fingertips and toes warm out on the ride will make your life far nicer when you've arrived and been in the warm for a few minutes or if you need to be doing shirt buttons up.

A buff to keep the chill off you face and ears is an essential piece of kit - they don't need to be super expensive, 3 for £10 in TK-Maxx rather that 1 for £15 in a mountain shop work, most of mine have been free ones given away in cycling magazines.
I am looking into these two bikes. what you say.
http://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr/2013/bikes/road/performance/gtr-series-3
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z85-2013-road-bike-ec046333

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2741803, member: 1314"]If you can afford it, spend as much as you can. Nobody I know who has ridden a Sirrus has complained about using it as an entry-level commuter. They're between £450-£700 quid. I had a second hand one myself for a couple of years. Of course I now ride nothing other than a steel fixed through the mean streets.

One more thing - the road surfaces between Sutton and, say, zone 4 are actually very decent. Wimbledon South roads have also, at last, been done up.[/quote]

I commute on a Sirrus Elite, brilliant bike to ride.

Markc123

I would also order the excellent free cycle maps from the TFL website that cover your route, and combine these with the google maps bycle route planning service (and sometimes the Satellite images too..) to keep tinkering with your route to get the safest/least conjested/fastest/etc one in and out of work.
Dangerous junctions, fast roads, areas with lots of traffic lights, conjested sections can all usually be avoided with some clever route choices.
Totally traffic free sections are your best friend (if you have the right type of bike and lights) - canal paths, parks, and well designed segregrated cyele paths, and in some rare cases... London's Cycle Superhighways..

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

Just opening this old thread. I finally bought Trek Emonda s6. i am loving it.

Thanks everyone who gave valuable advice.
i have started riding to work once a week and doing 30 mile on weekend Richmond park.
njoying it very much.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Blimey. It took you nearly a year to buy the bike. You sure are picky aren't you.

Last edited:
lol.yeah. i tried many bikes. but never had 100% sure feeling.
with emonda s6, on first mile, i was like... this is what i want.

I googled "trek emonda s6" and the 1st result was:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...n6SFJYKLtno9FtRvQ&sig2=YcDb7vqGPG3od71WQgTDJw

I wouldnt feel comfortable commuting on such a pricey bike regardless of using even the best locks. Apparently you should use at least 2 different types of locks. I use a mini D lock to secure the frame to something and a couple of cheap cable locks to secure the wheels. My nice bike doesnt get left in public unless its within my line of sight.

OP
OP
tariq

tariq

true. i park in a secure locked garage. and keep inside at home.
I googled "trek emonda s6" and the 1st result was:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEIQFjAA&url=http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281210/products/trek-emonda-s6-2015-road-bike.aspx&ei=jWMPVI_uLMaN7QbFuIHoAQ&usg=AFQjCNHG-m3RaZ313n6SFJYKLtno9FtRvQ&sig2=YcDb7vqGPG3od71WQgTDJw

I wouldnt feel comfortable commuting on such a pricey bike regardless of using even the best locks. Apparently you should use at least 2 different types of locks. I use a mini D lock to secure the frame to something and a couple of cheap cable locks to secure the wheels. My nice bike doesnt get left in public unless its within my line of sight.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Everyone has to start somewhere, hey.

These days I think the barrier to entry is lower because e-bikes are so widely available, it’s a more accessible option that can remove a lot of the fear of what seems like a lot of mileage to a new commuter.

Top Bottom