New components or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm just surprised that Boardman are the only make mentioned so far. They're perfectly fine bikes, but you've got a grand to spend and that makes the cycle world your oyster, it's not like you're restricted! You seem decided on road, so look at some of the bikes from Giant, Cube, Scott, Cannondale, and Merida.

You're not wrong, I mentioned Boardman as the OP didn't seem too keen on travelling far to purchase and there is a Halfords in the town where they live, as well as illustrating that you can get a very decent bike well under that budget - but as you say, with £1,000 to spend there is a whole world of choice out there. :okay:

KneesUp

Guru
Is the £1000 a limit or a target?

OP
OP
F
New road bike with discs and the ability to fit winter mudguards, no question. For £1000 you'll get a decent alloy frame and something like 105 kit, with a triple chainset if that's what you want. For general messing around and touring in hilly areas I do like the ratios on a triple but I wouldn't have one on a pure road bike because, as Velominati says, mountain bike gears have no place on a road bike. Buy from a decent LBS and if you ask nicely or buy last year's model you can expect 10% discount or accessories in lieu. Don't forget to get some proper padded shorts and gloves and clothes that won't flap in the wind; the dhb brand from Wiggle is excellent value kit and very well made. If you clean it up you'll be able to sell that old BSA to somebody who wants a cheap commuter.

Triple chainset? Now you've lost me. Don't worry about the clothing. I already have a proper cycling top, but I may not wear it because it shows my stomach and I hate it. I also have some padded shorts.......Need to think about what shoes I would wear because I don't have clue.

Is the £1000 a limit or a target?

It's the limit. Seriously cannot go over £1000. I don't want to spend that much, the cheaper the better but without losing quality in materials as I want to keep the bike for some time until I decide to upgrade the components on the bike.

The Giant Defy bikes seem nice. Shame I cannot afford this years model, it's just a little over my budget sadly. I'll need to do a lot of research before I settle down on a bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Don't fix on this year's models, they're quite often pretty much the same as last year's model but in a different colour. Rarely are there major changes, and you're saving hundreds by not being led by the marketing men. To be honest, if I look at other people's Giant TCRs (for example), I have absolutely no clue what year they are, just that they have a different colour stripe. I'm even more clueless if it's a make I don't ride. Discounters like Paul's Bikes are great places to find bikes which are brand new but "last year". Anyway, this year's bike doesn't stay this year's for long, and you're going to own it for a good while.

Don't let shoe choice worry you either, one of my riding buddies wears battered slip on moccasins with a hole in the toe. Wear trainers if you want, many do. Get cycling shoes if you like, but not because you feel like you must, nobody's really going to be looking at your shoes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Here you go if happy to buy online, non disc version is £630

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6968/GIANT-DEFY-1-DISC-2016

However, you might find an adventure type bike is better for canal paths etc, also better for adding proper mudguards. Try Evans, they have a trade in scheme running and better they allow proper testrides for as long as you want in reason

Or as an adventure bike, this is a good deal

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/80506/Genesis_CdA_20_2016_Bike_Medium

If you prefer something a bit more classic, try Spa in Harrogate e.g.

http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2827/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-(SRAM)

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
MarkF
Yep I'm in Keighley. I've cycled on the canal up to Shipley (and the other way to Skipton). Both nice rides.

Shipley to Leeds has been entirely resurfaced (£19m?) and is the polar opposite of the Keighley (Silsden) to Skipton section. You can do it on any road bike.

Have a look at Keith Lamberts shop, if only for advice & sizing, and a little further along at Saltaire is the massive All Terrain

KneesUp

Guru
There is a Fuji Tourer in at my local Evans. I think they are the UK distributor. It looks nice and is currently £700, but will be £500 in September I bet.

That bike would tick a lot of boxes and last a long time.

OP
OP
F
Vickster
I won't be cycling on canals that often and if I do it'll be in Scotland. Done a little research and I may be able to add fatter tyres/wheels on a bike providing they have enough room between the fork (and brakes if required).

KneesUp
Not too keen on tourers. I have my money set on a road race bike.

There is Giants' Contend SL 1 Disc 2017 bike at around £849 to consider too.

OP
OP
F
Emailed a local bike shop if they could provide me with a quote for the BSA.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
.....I do like the ratios on a triple but I wouldn't have one on a pure road bike because, as Velominati says, mountain bike gears have no place on a road bike. .. t/QUOTE]

Not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but surely you want the gear ratios you want .. triple in my case, and why not "mountain bike geara on a road bike" again it's just a matter of the gears you want.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good luck with that one! There isn't a cycling equivalent to Glass's Guide and bike shops generally don't want a bike they can't sell on quickly.

....or if you mean a quote to refurb it; again, no bike shop will touch an old bike because all the standards have changed so much that getting the right parts will ba massive ballache and they will not be able to charge you enough to cover their time.

Edit: on PP's quote and comment above, I do like a triple on an all purpose bike but as a fashion victim I wouldn't want them on my best road bike. This is the same kind of argument as in the other post abut wrapping your bike in cotton wool; a good race bike is a thing of aesthetic beauty and there are certain fashion rules that must be followed.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Good luck with that one! There isn't a cycling equivalent to Glass's Guide and bike shops generally don't want a bike they can't sell on quickly.

....or if you mean a quote to refurb it; again, no bike shop will touch an old bike because all the standards have changed so much that getting the right parts will ba massive ballache and they will not be able to charge you enough to cover their time.

Edit: on PP's quote and comment above, I do like a triple on an all purpose bike but as a fashion victim I wouldn't want them on my best road bike. This is the same kind of argument as in the other post abut wrapping your bike in cotton wool; a good race bike is a thing of aesthetic beauty and there are certain fashion rules that must be followed.

I was after either a triple or similarly ranged gearing for my most recent bike. I'm relatively big and a compact with 32t sprocket at the back makes for a harder than necessary climb sometimes.

In the end I opted for a sub-compact 48-32 chainset and an 11-34 at the back.

To the OP I would seriously consider what sort of roads you will be riding. If you live in an area with lots of hills, then low range gears will make more of an impact on your enjoyment of your bike than choosing a "racier" bike. Especially if you're coming back to cycling after a break and carrying a few extra pounds around.

A lot of road bikes seem to be setup for people who want to emulate the professionals, with gears that are unsuitable for the rest of us.

OP
OP
F
I was after either a triple or similarly ranged gearing for my most recent bike. I'm relatively big and a compact with 32t sprocket at the back makes for a harder than necessary climb sometimes.

In the end I opted for a sub-compact 48-32 chainset and an 11-34 at the back.

To the OP I would seriously consider what sort of roads you will be riding. If you live in an area with lots of hills, then low range gears will make more of an impact on your enjoyment of your bike than choosing a "racier" bike. Especially if you're coming back to cycling after a break and carrying a few extra pounds around.

A lot of road bikes seem to be setup for people who want to emulate the professionals, with gears that are unsuitable for the rest of us.

The bike I might be interested in is here if you or anyone else wants to question it.

http://www.ilkleycycles.co.uk/77479/products/giant-contend-sl-2-2017-road-bike.aspx
Chainset: Shimano Tiagra 34/50
Cassette: Shimano Tiagro 11x32

My heart isn't set on this bike. Decided that I won't consider buying a new bike until afterafter I come back from a week in Scotland in May. Hopefully I'll have cycled around 58miles in 6 days like I did in 2014.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The bike I might be interested in is here if you or anyone else wants to question it.

http://www.ilkleycycles.co.uk/77479/products/giant-contend-sl-2-2017-road-bike.aspx
Chainset: Shimano Tiagra 34/50
Cassette: Shimano Tiagro 11x32

My heart isn't set on this bike. Decided that I won't consider buying a new bike until afterafter I come back from a week in Scotland in May. Hopefully I'll have cycled around 58miles in 6 days like I did in 2014.

It's a capable enough bike and I'm sure that it will have lots of fans, but there are a LOT of bikes around at that sort of money (including full carbon, if that's of interest) so take time to see what else is available and try a few, if only for size in the shop.
My advice is that if your heart isn't in it, don't rush into getting a bike just so you've got one - you might grow to love it, but it might also rankle for the rest of your days if you get the wrong one...;)

mustang1

Guru
Get a road bike for about £800 or less. Stay away from anything that is a mix of hydraulic+cable discs. Either get full cable disks or rim brakes. Spend the rest of the money on accessories.

Don't ride clipless on the canal path until you are fully confident that you can unclip untimely for any eventuality. Stick with regular pedals for now.

Road bikes usually can be fitted with race blade mudguards. They're no where near as good as proper mudguards that can be fitted to cx (most) cx bikes (and some road bikes) but i found cx bikes not as interesting to ride as a road bike. Despite me hating raceblades on road bikes, i dislike the boat-like handling qualities of a cx bike even more, even if it's pouring with rain. But it's your call, both cx and road bikes are good for their intended purpose.

Someone mentioned giant bikes above and theyre real good. Iirc the Defy is no longer available from Giant still if Paul cycles has them then that's not a bad way to go.

Gosh luck either your choice!

Top Bottom