New components or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F
mustang1

Thanks for your input. I'm not interested in CX bikes, nor am I going to be cycling on canals again. Like I mentioned in a post, I would only be cycling on the Crinan Canal in Argyll once or twice a year.

Yes I would be interested in a full carbon bike or just carbon forks. The only thing is about looking at bikes, I would rather go in to the shop rather than order online then I can see what I'm purchasing.

My cousin has the Giant Defy Advanced 2 and loves it, but is out of my price range.

Philhh

My partner brought her best bike from Ilkley cycles (genesis 30) .Well impressed with the service . I got them to put 105 gearings on to my giant defy3 that I'd been given- again super service and good mechanics .Can really recommend those guys. You could get a road bike and a pair of shoes from dhb which when you are ready to go to clip in you could convert.Definitely carbon forks for me and with a good steel or aly frame that hits all my buttons but get good gears try to get 105 as a minimum.

KneesUp

Guru
Hi DavidS

It seems you haven't cycled much in the last few years, and are trying to get yourself going. Well done!

As it seems like you are buying one bike, but don't yet ride much, I'd strongly recommend getting something a bit more versatile than a pure 'road' bike, because until you've ridden lots, you don't know. I'd certainly counsel you not to write off CX bikes or touring bikes without trying one. As you say, it's best to see them and ride them. A CX bike is basically a road bike built with a bit more strength and room for fatter tyres - but you can put thinner tyres on too, if you want. And the weight penalty is not at all great. Why not have two sets of wheels? Similarly, a touring bike is just a road bike with slightly 'slacker' geometry and room for wider tyres, making it slightly heavier and slightly less 'snappy' than a pure road bike, but a lot more comfortable and a lot more versatile.

A touring bike or a CX bike will also come with lower gearing that a road bike - road bikes have gearing for professional racers, which is unfortunate if you're not. And should you at some stage decide you want to add a rack for some panniers, or go down some bridleways or, like me, you happen to live somewhere where the roads seem not to have been resurfaced since the war, you might appreciate not having thin tyres pumped up to a pressure that makes your bike uncomfortable on all but the smoothest surface.

Take an analogy with cars. If you want a car you will use for everything, but you want a fast car, you wouldn't buy a McClaren, because the compromises are too great. They're hard to park, expensive to maintain, use lots of fuel, are hopeless when it comes to fitting everyday things in the 'boot' and you can't access the performance (the one advantage they do have) on the road anyway. You'd be much better served with something like an Audi RS of some sort - you'd get a useful boot, back seats, relatively reasonable fuel consumption, a park-able size and at least enough ground clearance to cope with speed humps at more than a slow walking pace.

It's the same with bikes. Personally I don't see the point of a pure racing bike unless, you know, you're racing it. A bike that can get just you and a spare inner tube 20 miles away in a little over an hour is a nice bike. A bike that can get you and some shopping, or a picnic, or some camping gear, or some books you need to return, or whatever over 20 miles away in an hour and a half (or just you in hardly any more time than the 'pure' road bike) and in more comfort, is a very useful and lovely thing indeed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hi DavidS

It seems you haven't cycled much in the last few years, and are trying to get yourself going. Well done!

As it seems like you are buying one bike, but don't yet ride much, I'd strongly recommend getting something a bit more versatile than a pure 'road' bike, because until you've ridden lots, you don't know. I'd certainly counsel you not to write off CX bikes or touring bikes without trying one. As you say, it's best to see them and ride them. A CX bike is basically a road bike built with a bit more strength and room for fatter tyres - but you can put thinner tyres on too, if you want. And the weight penalty is not at all great. Why not have two sets of wheels? Similarly, a touring bike is just a road bike with slightly 'slacker' geometry and room for wider tyres, making it slightly heavier and slightly less 'snappy' than a pure road bike, but a lot more comfortable and a lot more versatile.

A touring bike or a CX bike will also come with lower gearing that a road bike - road bikes have gearing for professional racers, which is unfortunate if you're not. And should you at some stage decide you want to add a rack for some panniers, or go down some bridleways or, like me, you happen to live somewhere where the roads seem not to have been resurfaced since the war, you might appreciate not having thin tyres pumped up to a pressure that makes your bike uncomfortable on all but the smoothest surface.

Take an analogy with cars. If you want a car you will use for everything, but you want a fast car, you wouldn't buy a McClaren, because the compromises are too great. They're hard to park, expensive to maintain, use lots of fuel, are hopeless when it comes to fitting everyday things in the 'boot' and you can't access the performance (the one advantage they do have) on the road anyway. You'd be much better served with something like an Audi RS of some sort - you'd get a useful boot, back seats, relatively reasonable fuel consumption, a park-able size and at least enough ground clearance to cope with speed humps at more than a slow walking pace.

It's the same with bikes. Personally I don't see the point of a pure racing bike unless, you know, you're racing it. A bike that can get just you and a spare inner tube 20 miles away in a little over an hour is a nice bike. A bike that can get you and some shopping, or a picnic, or some camping gear, or some books you need to return, or whatever over 20 miles away in an hour and a half (or just you in hardly any more time than the 'pure' road bike) and in more comfort, is a very useful and lovely thing indeed.

There is some good advice here.

All winter I've been riding my Boardman Road Comp (aluminium frame / carbon fork, 9 speed Sora gears with 50/34 up front, mudguards etc), but last week I switched back to the Road Pro Carbon (full carbon, 11 speed 105 gearing with 52/36 up front, hydraulic disc brakes).
It's been a revelation to switch back and it feels faster, the handling is more precise, it's noticeably lighter...but I rode a 100 mile sportive at the weekend and while the higher gearing was great on the flats and downhill (where the disc brakes were immense), I really felt the difference on a couple of punishing climbs. Those hills would not have been "easy" on the lower geared bike but they would have been "easier", which is something well worth considering if you're in a hilly part of the world (and it sounds like the OP is).
In the grand scheme of things, the Pro Carbon is the better bike - no question. But it's not always the bike that's most suited to the ride.

OP
OP
F
KneesUp is right. I haven't cycled much. The last time I recorded a ride was May 2015 and only cycled 13.1miles over 4 rides. The time before that I cycled 57miles and I cycled every day. I went out for a 1.3miles ride two weekends ago, I've kept meaning to go out ever since that day. Now that I'm working, I start my week days getting up at 5am to go to work for 6am and then finish at 2pm (12noon on fridays), and I just cannot be bothered going out. I'm off to Scotland for a week next month and I'll be taking the bike up and hopefully cycling more miles than I did above. Maybe if I lose a little weight, then it might make me want to get out on the bike at home, but I seriously hate living on a hill, of course I cannot do anything about it, unless I drive somewhere and cycle which I've done in the past.

I'll be honest that I know little about bikes. I'm starting to look at other types of bike. Not too keen on adding panniers as I would like to go as fast as I can. If I keep at it, I'll get fitter and able to 'handle' a road bike. I'm sure any new bike will be better than the heavy thing I own right now, and the gearing will be better.

I've looked at the Boardman Road Team Carbon, and thought I would go for that one, but there are 'better' ones out there. The Pro Carbon is over £1000 and too expensive. I'm trying to stay below £1000, I think £800 would be my limit, and I can own a good bike at that price. Maybe when the components wear out I could invest in changing the old ones for some better components.

OP
OP
F
Decided that I'll start looking at cyclocross bikes (again) since I just can't give up cycling over rough ground. If anyone knows of Gisburn Forest, then I'm planning on cycling there when a mate goes there again, there's also Scotland too and there's plenty of rough ground up there where I wouldn't mind cycling.

Any good bikes under £1000? Maybe even full or part carbon? And would the bike be able to handle roads? Disc or v-brakes? What chainset for those hills/road biking?

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Why would you choose this bike?
Because it's made of steel, which is durable, relatively light weight for it's strength, has a safe failure mode (it bends rather than breaks) and gives a compliant ride. Other frame materials, to a greater or lesser extent, are not as durable or well proven.

It has a fairly compact geometry, not too dissimilar to a road bike, but with enough clearance for fatter tyres and mudguards and so on. If you only have one bike, or want a bike that can cope with a ride that has a bit of everything without ever feeling totally out of it's depth (albeit at the cost of not being quite as fast on road as a fast road bike, or quite as adept off road as a dedicated off road bike - but still being pretty good at both) then I'd get this one. It has sensible components, sensible gearing, lots of braze ons to fit things to the bike should you ever wish to, and with a bit of care it should last you forever.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Because it's made of steel, which is durable, relatively light weight for it's strength, has a safe failure mode (it bends rather than breaks) and gives a compliant ride. Other frame materials, to a greater or lesser extent, are not as durable or well proven.

It has a fairly compact geometry, not too dissimilar to a road bike, but with enough clearance for fatter tyres and mudguards and so on. If you only have one bike, or want a bike that can cope with a ride that has a bit of everything without ever feeling totally out of it's depth (albeit at the cost of not being quite as fast on road as a fast road bike, or quite as adept off road as a dedicated off road bike - but still being pretty good at both) then I'd get this one. It has sensible components, sensible gearing, lots of braze ons to fit things to the bike should you ever wish to, and with a bit of care it should last you forever.

But more important than all of that sensible advice - it is a nice colour.

Top Bottom