New cone for hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone know where I could get a spare cone for a Shimano Deore HBM 590 hub?

Lots of online suppliers seem to think it beneath them to sell spare cones but a new hub, however cheaply priced, aint much use as I don't want to get Spa Cycles' nice hand-built wheels rebuilt.

I only got the wheels last September and this particular bike hasn't done many miles at all since then, and hardly anything in bad weather so I was a tad disappointed to find that the cone was damaged - by a bit of grit that had got in I think. Cup still servicable I think.

St John Street Cycles does seem, to sell cones but I couldn't see one for this particular hub though it still seems current. Maybe I should have got a better sealed hub.

For future use, I'd also be interested in anyone's recommendations for a tough well-sealed hub for general purpose/general touring use. No suggestions of weight weenie stuff please - I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple but quality and durable - I'm not out to win races.

I'm in London in case anyone also wants to suggest a local bike shop.

When my cones were needing serviced I found this if its any good to you.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Either the Deore or the LX hubs ought to be fine.
One point to be aware of is that new hubs are not always properly greased, so it's good practice to service them before first use. I learnt that on an LX hub that turned out to be nearly dry when it started making noises after not very long.

I'd just get a new hub and pinch the cone from it. I've had a bike shop do that when I've gone in asking for a cone.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Either the Deore or the LX hubs ought to be fine.
One point to be aware of is that new hubs are not always properly greased, so it's good practice to service them before first use. I learnt that on an LX hub that turned out to be nearly dry when it started making noises after not very long.

I'd just get a new hub and pinch the cone from it. I've had a bike shop do that when I've gone in asking for a cone.
I take it you mean that the cone that fits the LX hub will be fine.

Yes, good point about insufficient grease in new hubs - when I took it apart there was grease but it didn't seem as if there was not enough - crazy - if it had been as well greased as it is now, it's likely that the small bit of grit wouldn't have done the damage.

I think you are probably right about just getting a new 590 hub and raiding it for bits - as they seem quite cheap on chain reaction

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40557

and of course I get all the other bits as well - post free - the barminess of bike bit economics.

It's now clear to me that I should have got the wheel built with Deore LX hubs at the time but I was ignorant about differences in sealing - don't know if anyone else has the 590 and any views on it - the sealing to me seems minimal - just one internal rubber washer.

PpPete

Legendary Member
For future use, I'd also be interested in anyone's recommendations for a tough well-sealed hub for general purpose/general touring use. No suggestions of weight weenie stuff please - I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple but quality and durable - I'm not out to win races.

I'm in London in case anyone also wants to suggest a local bike shop.

Hope Pro III is the dog's danglies...available in 32 and 36 hole, and rolls down far better than any Shimano offering. Quite converted me away from years of cup/cone ludditeness now!
Not cheap and do check you like the sound of them first..... personally I do, as a quick freewheel gives audible warning of my approach to peds, horses, other riders.

Mine sound more like the first part of this ... certainly not as noisy as this

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ended up getting a new Rear Deore Hub just for the freehub - far cheaper for the whole thing than getting the part.

SJS are about the best for spares though.

I use cartridge bearing hubs on the commuter - £6 per hub to change the bearing cartridges !

Top Bottom