New Cyclist got the full verbal this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

Obviously I didn't know he was a new cyclist at the time.

Over about a mile or so he was snaking on and of the pavement, through pedestrian crossing, RLJ'd a couple of times.

Eventually, he passed me at a set of light, and I could see the big smirk on his face that he'd passed me for the 4th time.

When I caught up with I explained that his cycling mode was unsafe for him and pedestrians, but also it made the roads generally less safe for all cyclists as some motorists become careless and ambivelent when they encounter this riding strategy.

He said he was sorry and explained it was his first day cycling. I felt a little deflated by this, I'd given an earful when I really wanted to encorauge him. He was riding in the rain in a wet shirt, so I sent him on his way with some advice that he could pick up a cheap rain jacket from Aldi - he seemed grateful and went of on the road.

After he'd gone I felt there was so much more to tell him about staying safe. And then I was saddened by just how little people know about safety and cycling.

Mark_Robson

Hopefully the guy will progress quickly and get road confident.

Rassendyll

Bit of a difference though isn't there ?

Would a carload of abusive chavs have a different opinion of cyclists afterwards - if anything maybe less likely to give them a hard time if they think the cyclist can fight back.

Whereas the pavement RLJing commuter is unprovoked and gratuitous.

In any event, previous history doesn't make the action of telling him off any less correct. Well done - I usually just mutter and tsk.

Arch

Married to Night Train
garrilla said:
After he'd gone I felt there was so much more to tell him about staying safe. And then I was saddened by just how little people know about safety and cycling.

This is where it's useful to be able to say (at the risk of getting the usual suspects frothing at the mouths):

"There's a book called Cyclecraft. Get it, read it."

You can say that, in whatever level of stern or friendly tone you prefer, in a couple of seconds. Trying to think which bit of advice to give first, and then give it, would take longer than you usually have.

OP
OP
garrilla

garrilla

User3143 said:
Sorry, but it has to be said. Says the man who ripped off a wing mirror on the account of being shouted at by a car full of chavs.

Do you think this is a ''safe riding strategy?''

Firstly, if you're going to bring that up that at least get your facts straight. They didn't just shout at me the driver veered the car into me and made me take aversive action and mount the pavement. In trying to explain to them what they did was stupid they laughed at me and taunted me. In my humilation and anger I punched the wing mirror. And I got a kicking for it. I would say it was slightly different.

Secondly, I accepted then as I do know that what I did wasn't clever.

Does this mean that I should now have no views on cycling, or at least if I do, should not express them?

Shaun

Founder
Agreed. Well said.

You guys should know that you made the big red light in the moderators room flash like mad - there was a big noisy claxton going as well - and people running all over the place with fire extinguishers.

It's all quiet now and everyone has been stood-down .... ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
garrilla

garrilla

User3143 said:
You're right, the post was out of order. When I first looked at it, it appeared that garilla was being a tad sanctimonious - I realise now this was not the case.

My apologies garilla.

Accepted, because your normally spot on.

Crankarm

Guru
Admin said:
Agreed. Well said.

You guys should know that you made the big red light in the moderators room flash like mad - there was a big noisy claxton going as well - and people running all over the place with fire extinguishers.

It's all quiet now and everyone has been stood-down .... :rofl:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

:laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
garrilla said:
Accepted, because your normally spot on.

And so were you this time g. Good on you for hopefully educating a noob and perhaps, just perhaps, saving his skin. Mind there's no telling what he'll do when he encounters his first stationary bus or tipper truck. Which side will he squeeze down or would he now stop and think following your advisory chat with him?

Did you make him aware of CycleChat?

Top Bottom