England : Hampshire New Date! Night Ride Around The Coast 2015 (August 21)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did the first recce today. Amended route worked out well, I don't think anyone who went last year will regret missing Cowleaze Hill out! Some parts I've never ridden before & proved a pleasant surprise. I was a little slow getting round to Blackgang, but the stretch between there and Freshwater really boosted the average speed (15.1 mph for that bit, even with the climb before Freshwater Bay!!) Didn't bother with going down to the Needles or doing the last stretch into Ryde, but there shouldn't be any issue with either of those sections. I'll be doing a night recce at some point in the next few weeks.
https://www.strava.com/activities/332790150

Cowleaze isn't too bad as hills go - although I guess the state of the road surface itself will have deteriorated further. However, the downside of routing away from that section & Bonchurch is that you miss out on the fabulous sea path all the way round to Ventnor. But as compensation, the Sunshine Trail to Wroxall is nice.

I see your recce bypassed Ryde itself - that should halve the (already single figure) car count!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cowleaze isn't too bad as hills go - although I guess the state of the road surface itself will have deteriorated further. However, the downside of routing away from that section & Bonchurch is that you miss out on the fabulous sea path all the way round to Ventnor. But as compensation, the Sunshine Trail to Wroxall is nice.

I see your recce bypassed Ryde itself - that should halve the (already single figure) car count!
Indeed so- Cowleaze isn't that bad, but it is a grind so on balance thought best to bypass it. Sea path is indeed lovely, but the more you go down, the more you have to go up again...Bonchurch becomes a bit of a detour but not too much bother. I'll check the loos are still open overnight on Friday night. Sunshine Trail is a definite plus of the revised route, as is missing out Ryde's nightlife!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Bump. Weather forecast for the recce looks excellent- light winds and dry. As for the Real Thing, I'll be taking the midnight sailing to Fishbourne.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've stopped on the way down for some carbo loading.

Text from Wightlink to say there might be delays.

Looks like the service was suspended earlier, but is now running again.

Hopefully the midnight boat will go.

I suppose we should get on even if there's still a backlog of cars.

https://twitter.com/wightlinktravel

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

'Running a good service' according to a tweet five minutes ago.
There won't be a problem getting on.....

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

And Team Recce is on its way. Sailed 15 minutes late, not that it makes much difference.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Recce aborted. First part went well enough, got to Bembridge at 2ish & my front mech is suddenly nonfunctional. No cable tension. Self and Rob (@PaleRider) tweak the cable a bit. Riding up and down to check it, chain explodes, pin from quick link nowhere to be found. Rob has a chain tool & with an extra pair of hands he shortens and rejoins the chain by one link. Front might shift but I don't risk it, rear I try and leave alone but seems OK. Bike is rideable reasonably quickly. Back to Ryde Tesco (hand washing) & then Fishbourne. Now waiting for 0600. My first ever night ride mechanical. Would have to be a big one! Many thanks to Rob for getting me rolling again.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Advance weather forecast for next weekend not looking too bad. Fingers crossed for take two....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Recce aborted. First part went well enough, got to Bembridge at 2ish & my front mech is suddenly nonfunctional. No cable tension. Self and Rob (@PaleRider) tweak the cable a bit. Riding up and down to check it, chain explodes, pin from quick link nowhere to be found. Rob has a chain tool & with an extra pair of hands he shortens and rejoins the chain by one link. Front might shift but I don't risk it, rear I try and leave alone but seems OK. Bike is rideable reasonably quickly. Back to Ryde Tesco (hand washing) & then Fishbourne. Now waiting for 0600. My first ever night ride mechanical. Would have to be a big one! Many thanks to Rob for getting me rolling again.

And thanks to you as well Stu for the ride and company.

Shorter than we anticipated, but it gave me a flavour of this Friday night malarkey.

As I said before we parted, it was still a good adventure on a bike, just not the one we anticipated.

Overcoming mechanical challenges brings its own satisfaction.

I was pleased with my chain joining, having never done it before.

A bad workman blames his tools, but this average workman is going to praise the Park Tools Mini Brute chain breaker.

It handled your Campag 11-speed fine, and my initially hamfisted attempts to drive home the rivet.

Not much I can say about the ride, having only done a short section of the easiest bit.

But as you've commented, riders would need to be fairly strong cyclists to enjoy it.

The constant ups and downs reminded me of some of the terrain near my static caravan in North Yorkshire.

One climb and descent after another can be very wearing.

Doing another recce is a good effort.

However hard the route is, participants can be confident the leader has done a proper job on it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CN-PmL7qh8cCFWPnwgodXnMGtg&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Popped into the 'new' LBS- just like the old LBS but under new management, thankfully- and the Viner is booked in for Thursday. La Donna will be (fully) mobile for the weekend.

Have thought of a cunning plan (this is an Edmund cunning plan not a Baldrick one...) for a refreshment stop- too late to implement for this year (well, almost certainly) but if it comes off next year, well this ride will be much bigger, and an absolute corker.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
An easy souplesse, an assertive road position and a rictus of concentration plastered across his face, guess who I saw this lunchtime down the A3 past HMS Nelson? I'd just lined up a punishment pass as well :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

An easy souplesse, an assertive road position and a rictus of concentration plastered across his face, guess who I saw this lunchtime down the A3 past HMS Nelson? I'd just lined up a punishment pass as well :tongue:
:smile:
Just nipped down to Gunwharf and back.

Top Bottom